1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bought my first car...Need advice though.

Discussion in 'General' started by andrew, 13 Oct 2004.

1. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

Well I bought an M-reg renault clio 1.9 Diesel. Its the 5 door model, has electric windows, power steering, all that crap.....However it has 148,000 miles :eeek:

Well I have no service history for it, but I have known the person I bought it from had it for about 3 years. And did around 40,000 miles in it.

I'm told that diesels will easily reach 200,000 miles if they're kept serviced well. But because I have no service history I don't know if this one has been :confused:

And I have also been told that the cam belt needs to be changed every 70,000 miles, which would mean it is due a change now...

How far can you run a cam belt for? I'm guessing this ones done 78,000 miles. Also how much am I llloking at to have it replaced, I was told by a garage about £170? It seems a bit high.

Oh I paid £200 for the car :rock:

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Definately get the belt changed, also get it serviced at the same time. The seller may have wanted to sell the car because the cost of the belt change.

3. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

Well the reason why it was so cheap was:

• I know them
    • The paint work is shabby
    • High mileage
    • They have a company car now
    • Costing them money having it just sitting there

Thanks for your help, I was half decided to have it looked it at/ belt change. So I'll get that done when I get paid.

One more question, this is sort of like how long is a piece of string but: How many miles could I get out of this engine?

4. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Its a diesel so the skys the limit on the amount of mileage it will do, I know of an old bedford astra van thats coming up for 456000 miles on the original engine the guy just sticks to the service schedule

5. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

depends how you look at the car really - it only cost £200!! Ive got 2 cars - one is my cheapy town runabout and the other my gorgeous sports car, i spend loads on one and not the other. Im in the same situation as you with cam belt on my cheapy car, that said - the belts look good and im just going to risk it. If it goes then its good bye engine and therefore car. The replacement charge seems reasonable tbh, then again you could just risk it and if it does break - buy another £200 car!! You could always ask the guy at the garage to check the belts and see if they're knackered and look like they're on the way out?

Tags: