1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks [HELP] how to boost up the signal of my wireless router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zhenboy, 14 Oct 2004.

1. zhenboy

zhenboy What's a Dremel?

Hiya
    I've been using my Belkin54g wireless router for a year in my old house.(no big issue with the signal)
    Recently I've moved to a new flat. Put the router in one of my mate's room.
    Its about 17 meters from my rig. (two wooden doors and walls in between my room n his) Dunno why the signal is NOT stable at all...connecting speed is like 5.5M then 2M or even 1M then it drops...
    The wireless card im using in my rig is a PCI Belkin 54g one (not those PCMCIA to PCI ones).
    I also have an apple powerbook (new model) with airport extreme.
    The strangest thing is that my powerbook can work around my rig in my room for around about 11mb/s( not very stable as well )

Is there a way of getting the signal boosted?
    I heard that I can add a new AP to the network, this cost me the price of a new AP or router.
    Or i can add an antenna to the router, a big antenna can broadcast for a mile or something...I really dont want to add that thingy to my room!! And i check my router, the antennas on the router are fixed ones..cant be replaced (stupid belkin)
    So is there any other solution?

Anyone knows how to make a signal booster? DIY a boosting antenna?

Thanks a lot :waah: :waah: :waah:

2. zhenboy

zhenboy What's a Dremel?

Anyone??

Sigh...I think I ll juz buy an airport express to extend the exsiting network then...

3. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

1. Look for firmware that will let you boost the power output of the transmitter.
    2. See if you can hook up a higher gain antenna to it.
    3. Try repositioning it.
    4. Change the channel that its transmitting on, there might be other kit around interfering with it.

Tags: