1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

um hard disk problems guys!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by windowsjunkie, 17 Oct 2004.

1. windowsjunkie

windowsjunkie What's a Dremel?

in 2 years of using xp (never update tbh) that has never happened until recently. So definatly something must be wrong with my hardware all i need you guys to tell me, from the experts - exchange thing too, some good info on there not legible but it's there, is if i need new hard disks? or my disks are probably fine and i just need to buy new motherboard etc? thank you guys i appreciate it.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_21171339.html

see what the people that could read my essay lol see what they said but they ain't helping enough i need more detail. So i turn to you guys as you guys probably know more than them especially since your into your electronics etc... Stupid seagate can't help much they keep asking dumb questions, and even worse replies!

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Dude, run windows update and update everything including your drivers. If your using a 2 year old install of XP without updating it once, then you deserve to have problems.

3. windowsjunkie

lol no way xp always managed to run stable without it like i say, if it aint broke why fix it? lol but still it ain't the fact i not updating windows that is causing my problems, i mean once well a few weeks ago whilst installing xp ,my screen messed up with random colours and it all froze, i was clueless as to why that happened.

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Are you sure everything is screwed in? If your videocard is loose it can easly be why you got "random colours and it all froze"

5. windowsjunkie

um well suppose it was video card why it work the next time i tried to install which was straight after, and it can't be causing the hard disk errors.
    I aint checked my video card i think that is ok and is seated properly.

6. Rooney

Rooney What's a Dremel?

I don't think you should be let near a computer.

Also, how old are you and are you english? I just want to know because I can't understand anything you've said...

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

First up, if your 80Gb disk was faulty, then 99 times out of 100 it'll stay faulty, whatever you do to it. Also, low-level formating is only something you should do to SCSI disks, leave your IDE disks alone!
    So, junk the 80Gb disk, it'll only cause more problems.

Secondly, what file system are you using? FAT or NTFS? (you can find out by using the Disk Management tool [right click My Computer, go to Manage then it's near the bottom]). NTFS is a bit more robust when it comes to file errors, so convert to that if you can, and run scandisk on the drive just ot check it over.

Thirdly, update windows, while you're at it run a decent virus checker and spyware remover over your system as well, something makes me think you'l have quite a lot on there.

8. windowsjunkie

lol i am 16 and from uk lol and i am english hehehe. I just suck at writing properly. Ok i will get rid of the 80gb hard disk but first i mite backup my data to cd's etc. I don't have a lot of spyware just needs a format on c drive. The drives! here look:

C drive will always stay as fat32 in case windows fails and i need to recover something!

http://www.imagehop.com/show.php?id=3104ffdacd711

http://www.imagehop.com/show.php?id=3105f541e53b7

as you can see thats how my disk is split, that is just my 160gb hard disk, and the drive called barracuda is the 1 with "inconsistencies" but why i have no idea i mean its a brand new disk! and computer crashes laods i don't know why? the 80gb i will low level format and sell to local i.t. shop!

9. windowsjunkie

mcafee 2004 updated fully got a bit of spyware keeps making stupid things pop up i'll get rid of it later when i format c drive, i have scanned with the xp disk cehcking utility it was fine maybe its just me hehe, but as long as i have a certain way to find out hard disk is fine i'm happy as i can get rid of everything else.