1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Big ass monitor thingy

Discussion in 'Modding' started by seforin, 25 Oct 2004.

1. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

hey i recently just came back from the computer show this week and got me a godly huge 21 inch crt flat screen with built in switch box!!

Ok now there 2 things i have found i dont like, 1 it was all scratched up on the sides (no big deal i only payed a 100 for it) and 2 its that nasty old school color white(offset) while everything else i own is partially black and red

now heres my 3 questions.opinions

On top of my big ass crt is my matrix senitnel , now hes on his stand but i might weld him into the Crt , not sure if or if not yet (input on this would be nice on opinion wise)

but i was either thinking of doing one of the following

Either painting the entire thing BLACK ,

Or buying some model kits of star wars ships and pasting individual pieces on and painting it , so my monitor has that whole machine feel to it.

now the thing is if i decide to just paint it black and make it stay and look nice, what procedures do i have to follow to make this go out ok?

And if i decide to buy the model kids, whats best to use to have them stick and fill in the gaps of the monitor?

Oh and i guess ill ask/state this while im here

Im also going to do a little idea i came up with for my keyboard
    Basically in the dead center of my keyboard i was going to spray paint on the punisher logo (the kind from the movie that dripped off wet paint style :rock: ) to match my machine / skull look i have for my pc set up

Now i dont want to really have this logo visable , but only when i have a black light present, do they sell spray paint that paints on invisible and florecent reactive (preferably a red one if they do have)
    Or should i just paint on the skull a solid visible color directly onto it ? (my keyboard is white right now, but soon im getting my new black one so im planing on doing it on that one)

Any input would be a GREAT help right now

Thanks mod crew~
    ~Seforin :wallbash:

2. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

oh and does anyone know where you can get custom stickers made?

i wanna have on my computer side pannel "In Case of emergancy break glass" written on the side of it

Please anyone who has any answers this would GREATLY help out :idea:

3. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I think a 21 inch monitor is probably too large to mod with model parts unless you spend a WHOLE lot of cash on it. Best thing to do is to sand down to metal/til it's smooth then apply 2 layers of metal undercoat. Spray thin, multiple layers of black on this then coat with clear coat. Either that or get it powerdercoated :D

4. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

well i was only figuring the front and the sides, thats what? 5 model kits at like 5-8 bucks a pop?

so looking at 30 dollars worth of crap maybe? Its just there would be alot of spacing between the parts. What fills those in best?

Also if i do paint, is it smart to use a power sander, or do it by hand? :eeek:

5. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

I painted my 21" crt blue before it died. I removed the plastic that housed the main part of the monitor, and then put newspaper around the exposed internals of the crt (where the plastic surrounding the screen was). I then taped the newspaper flush with the inside of the crt to make sure no paint vinyl dye got inside, and put tape and newspaper over the screen part as well.

On the negative side, I had created 2 80mm fan holes because the monitor got extrememly hot, however I never got around to putting the fans in and I guess the monitor overheated or something.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/alien/alien_pages/alien_4.html

check that out maby for some inspiration. The case cost him $400 in model stuff.

6. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

HOLY CRAP, How did he do that skull!? I would have that on top of my Crt monitor with the sentinel coming on top of it instead!

But damn you had to take aprart your crt, i didnt think about that.....

I wonder how you take apart a IBM crt?

And if i painted it would it cause overheating?

Im sorry i just spent a 100 bucks, i dont wanna **** this up, gimme more details if you have them 0_o;

7. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

if ur gonna paint ur case. use vinly dye or that plastic paint the make i forgot the name krypto fusion? idk just check around for it.

8. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

im still very scared to take apart my crt , due to the buttons and such, how do i paint/dye those?

I really wish someone would have a guide for this kinda thing, it isnt as simple as people make it out to be (god that sounds so noob) :wallbash:

9. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Not sure about what to do with the monitor, but I know you can find UV reactive paint.

http://www.xoxide.com/paint.html
    Link to US site that sells it. Just Google if you need more links.

10. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

Damn no red....maybe ill go with orange. I went to walmart today and they told me no such paint exists....funny no?

And i was talking with my boss today, he explained to me the layout as far as taking apart my monitor, but not the part on how take the buttons on the front off and painting them as well...

Has anyone on here moded / painted there monitor at all? Input on how you did this would be great.

(and if anyone knows where to get uv clear day / neon responsive RED or WHITE please link pm or just let me know in general)