1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Noritake 7000 suport?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by hcker2000, 21 Oct 2004.

1. hcker2000

hcker2000 What's a Dremel?

I'v seen the noritake review but can't get any thing working with the 7000 series. If I can't find any ready made software to suport it I'm going to have to write my own software in c#. Any one know how to get this working with lcdc or another software package. Oh yea I'm using it in serial mode.

2. coorz

coorz Miffed

You'll need to, kindly, ask the authors of the established LDC apps to write one for you. But ofcourse it's very hard if they have to do that just by looking at the spec sheet instead of actually having one to play with.
    If you're into C then you could try LCDinfo, as that's open source now. LiquidMP3 is also open source for Linux now.

3. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Stupid question, but I have to ask: Are you using a MAX232 chip to interface the PC to the VFD?

4. hcker2000

The vfd has all the controlers on the vfd so I'm not sure what chip is doing the work. I have talked to the makers of lcdc but they are under a contract with stupid matrix orbital. If any one has any c# experiance with the serial port let me know.

5. Hazer

The PC serial port runs by RS-232 protocol. This means it swings anywhere from -13v to +13V to represent the serial '1's and '0's.

The Noritake accepts serial voltages in TTL, which is 0V to +5V swing. If you have the VFD directly connected to the comm port on your PC, your not going to get anything. A MAX232 chip changes the +/-13V swing to TTL levels.

So, how do you have this conncted to your PC exactly?

6. hcker2000

They sent me the dev kit with a serial cable. Nothing special about the serial cable though.

7. Hazer

OK. If it was supplied, then the level conversion chip is most likely inside the cable/hood of the connector. So you should be able to rule that out as a problem.

But since you are using serial, have you checked the VFD jumper setting for the BUAD rate and also the settings of the software (both the software configuration and also device settings).

8. hcker2000

Yep 38000 bps (i think i got enough 0's in there). Nothing but wires in the serial hood eather so its built right on the vfd display. This display can refresh alot faster than most vfd's which makes it very nice.

9. 3mentina

3mentina What's a Dremel?

Hi, I received my GU-140x16J-7000 VFD.

Now I have your same problem. Plus my unit have no cable, so I have to sold terminals to a serial plug.

There are steps I thik I will follow:

1- understand how to connect pin
    2- try to let VFD work with noritake software
    3- learn how to use girder LCD plugin
    4- learn how to modify an existing file to set my VFD work properly

I think we can have corrispondance!

10. 3mentina

Pin assignement

six throug holes in VFD board >>>> RS232 9 pin plug
    pin 1- Vcc (power supply) >>>> to RTS or DTR (pin 7 or 4) [+6v]
    pin 2- SIN (data receive) >>>> to TxD (pin 3)
    pin 3- GND >>>> to GND (pin 5)
    pin 4- SBUSY >>>> to Clear To Send (CTS pin 8)
    pin 5- non connect
    pin 6- reset >>>> don't know, maybe non connect

do you find I'm right?

11. 3mentina

my VFD have the follow interface

baud rate: 9600 to 115200 bps
    parity: NONE
    Format: start (1 bit) + data (8 bit) + stop (1 bit)
    Handshake: SBUSY

This is important to configure girder plugin, specially if you use general serial plugin...

12. 3mentina

I know somebody can help me, why not?

thanks

13. hcker2000

Well I was working on some software in C# but then I found out there is no com controle in c# so I had to abandon that idea. It would be realy nice to get a current peice of software working with these vfd's as they are alot faster than most.

14. 3mentina

What's your VFD?
    Did you already connected it?

Try Girder with serial plugin, or LCD drive plugin.

15. hcker2000

It is a 7000 series display. I can get the exact modle number when I get home from work. I have tryed it with the win amp plug in you mentioned and it dosn't work with it. I think the reson it dosnt work is because of the plug in dosnt now the commands to move text down a line and move the cursor back to left. I havn't tryed Girder yet because it costs money. I would gladly pay the cash for it if I knew for a fact that it worked with the dislay. I have a c++ serial class that a friend of mine helped me get working but I need to get a gui and figure out how to get winamp info.

16. 3mentina

I've not yet wired the display, I must find spare time.
    Wiring I posted before is ok, exception for VCC because current from serial pin isn't enough. So I must dorectly connect it to PC power supply +5VDC and GND, being sure that GND of PSU and RS232 have the same potential.

In second time i think to test it with the noritake software (http://www.noritake-itron.com/ModMast/index.htm). Did you tried it?

In third step I will play girder.
    You can try it free for 30 days! Take it!
    I'm sure that girder LCD drive doesn't work, but in girder forum you can find some help. Take a look to the topic I started and join it: http://www.promixis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9494.

We can help each other.

Let me know about your VFD.

Bye.

17. hcker2000

Cool. I posted overe there so we will see what we get from them.

18. hcker2000

Well I got it working with girder but I don't think there is any way to make girder do what I want it to do which is show differnt info of the vfd display. The problem with girder is the fact that it is event driven so if i want to display some thing on the vfd then an event needs to happen :sigh:

Oh well I'm going to install vb6 and make some software. I know vb isnt the fastest or the best but I can probably get a program working with winamp over the weekend.

19. 3mentina

good!

what you said sounds strange to me, with girder you can show on display information from CD or DVD you are playing, such as elapsed time title track etc..

Hey you told me nothing about your VFD model!

20. hcker2000

its the gu140x32f-7000 (38400Bps, 1 stop bit, 8 data bits, no party or flow controle). No special code to initilize the display. Compleat list of commands here

http://www.noritake-elec.com/commands.htm

It's very easy to controle the problem is that lcdc has no idea how to line feed a carage return. If I could figure out how to tell it then it would probably work fine.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2004