1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Don't use a soldering iron to burn glue

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xiachunyi, 18 Oct 2004.

1. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

I was working on my 4-bit computer an hour ago when I mistakenly glued a piece of wire to the wrong location. I removed the wire but the glue's adhesive was still there so I decided, stupidly, to use my soldering iron to burn it off.

Well... the glue I was utilizing was called Crazy Glue and it contained ethyl cyanoacrylate. After a couple seconds of buring it, my right eye started becoming irritated and I immediatly sidled my head because I had just come to the conclusion that I am generating toxic fumes.

After a couple of minutes my head felt dizzy and I felt like throwing up. The sensation was not of a queasy feeling, it was a full-blown virus symptom feeling.

Half an hour later, it passed. :D
    Addendum: No I did not do anything out of the ordinary while I was under the influence. I think :worried:

2. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

I've had that happen except with just plain old solder fumes.

3. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

you shouldnt be inhaling solder fumes either. it contains lead, which isnt to be ingested in any form. solder fumes are trippy. learned that the hard way. WEAR A RESPIRATOR! same goes for spray painting.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

you do realise that the "cyano" in cyanoacrylate stands for CYANIDE! :eeek:

5. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

mmm sounds like fun.

Should have used acetone on the super glue. At least the fumes from that aren't as toxic at the same concentration.

6. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

canned air has really bad side effects too. The warnings on the can are correct! Trust me.... :hip:

7. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Well I guess I am alright, nothing out of the ordinary happened in today. Never will I try that again.

8. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

you know that they use that stuff in sal****er fish tanks to attach coral to rocks(i have used it to). SO eating it wont kill you cause of the cynide but because of the other things in it.

9. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

The fumes don't have lead, the fumes are from the flux, which usually has ammonia or something acidic in it. Lead wouldn't be fuming till what, a few thousand degrees when it hits heat of vaporization?

10. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick What's a Dremel?

no, any liquid has a vapor pressure and there is some lead in the fumes coming off of it. You are correct that most of the smoke is from the flux burning, but there is enough lead in the vapors that it is a bad idea to be breathing it.

11. Aliensniper

Aliensniper What's a Dremel?

Solids also have VP, just a very low one.

12. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

You can use your soldering iron for burning / melting whatever you want as long as you use one of these...
    [​IMG]
    (The large black thing with a hose; the smaller black thing is my soldering station)

These personal fume extractors filter 99.99% of the dangerous fumes from the air, storing them in a special cartridge for later disposal. I got one when I discovered that I was hypersensitive to the flux used in the new unleaded solders. As long as the smoke gets sucked into the hose, there is practically no risk of ill health from the fumes. (Glue, solder, or otherwise) :thumb:

13. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Yuur workbench is way too tidy.

I often sit directly above the solder, and have never had a problem with any of the masses of fumes that I have inhaled. The same goes for glue, paint, etc. I must have a high tolerance.

14. Yerg2k

Yerg2k What's a Dremel?

Yeah, WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH..... I'm done. No, I only huffed the stuff once before, don't ask why. Just don't do it, I've probably killed less brain cells huffing ten pounds of nitrous each night for two weeks straight, than I did with one baloon of air duster. It's a cheap, irresponsible, little kid looking to get messed up kinda high. Not that nitrous isn't a responsible thing to do either.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

on the topic of brain cells, supposedly you lose hundreds of brain cells every time you headbang? if thats the case, im in brain cell debt...:rock:
    i actually like the way that the flux smells when it burns...maybe i need to be admitted :worried:

16. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

Hahahahaha. This is funny.

17. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

Yeah I did this one time (long story...) and I couldn't even form coheerent sentences for the entire night -- it wasn't because I was feeling good. That stuff is nasty.

18. coder

coder What's a Dremel?

LOL, same here if id lost braincells for everytime i headbandged id probably have non left by now :worried:

Also i didnt realise it did have lead in it as we use soldering irons at school and we dont wear a mask or anything :wallbash:

19. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

try glueing a tube with cynoacrylateglue and inhaling before it's dry...

20. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

If I remember college Chemistry correctly, the chemical compound of that glue is Cyanide Arsenate, C(CN)COOCH3. This is in all superglues, crazy glues, basically anything that bonds quickly. This stuff is wicked, mind you, even though it's used in all sorts of common products. The "Only Use in Well Ventilated Area" warning isn't just put there to please the government, it's a true warning. Now even I'm guilty of superglueing at my desk, almost directly breathing in the fumes, but if I'm ever really doing a big project that needs a decent amount of superglue, I'll always try to get to the garage or the deck. It's just smart to think about, because simply household things can kill (like sticking a sheet of plexi in the oven >350F, it emits toxic fumes :eek: )