1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Stupid Question but i need help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by masterjosh, 8 Nov 2004.

1. masterjosh

masterjosh What's a Dremel?

okay well ive alrady realised the fact that i will sound like complete noob saying this but anyways, how do you take the top cage like fixture that holds the dvd-rom and the harddrive on an xbox out, i need to take it out and not damage it because i am painting it for him and replacing his dvd drive. i just cant figure out how to pull the whole thing out and just have the bottom part of the case

2. ajack

ajack rox

First there are the five screws on the bottom - 4 under each pad in the corner and one under a warranty-void-if-removed sticker. Then pull the top off the xbox (just give it a little shake usually does the trick.) Now you need a Torx-5 (I think? Don't quote me on that, it's a Torx screwdriver that's smaller than the one you need for the outside screws.) There's one screw between the DVD-ROM and the HDD, unscrew that and remove the HDD (with tray.) Next there's one screw just right of the DVD-ROM right at the very front, it's about 5cm down though, so just look carefully. Unscrew that and the DVD-ROM comes out and you're left with the mobo/fans etc.

3. masterjosh

thanks i think i got it now i though that was how it was done. They are little brass screws right?? i think i have one of those bits in my toolkit.

4. ajack

ajack rox

Yeah they're kind of a silvery/brassy type colour.

5. masterjosh

is there a way to take out the whole components unit with the silver protection thing still attached so i have just the bottom half of the case?? it kinda is a pain to unscew everything

6. ajack

ajack rox

Not that I'm aware of. The trays sort of overlap, so you can't get the DVD-ROM out without getting the hdd out first. Then just unscrew the copious amounts of screws from the motherboard, remove it and all of the wires; remove the rear fan and you have the case :)