1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GAME OVER!!!!-MAME machine <update 11-10-04> ALMOST DONE!!!! Side Art ideas?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bust_A_Cap, 8 Oct 2004.

1. Bust_A_Cap

Bust_A_Cap What's a Dremel?

aight well i tried a different processor...still nothing happend visually, so i am going to try and put a new PSU in the there and see what happens......i am looking for any answers to this stupid mess.

2. Bust_A_Cap

WOOOOHOOOO.....well i switched out the PSU as SirShaw suggested and....IT WORKED!?!?!?!?!.....well kind of. At least it is beeping now and telling me that the video card is not found or that the video card memory is bad......not a good thing....but it is much better then the computer not beeping at all....THANK YOU SirShaw!?!?!?!??!?!

You also helped solve like 3 other computer problems that i had. I was testing all the new.....well actually new to me....but old as crap, motherboards that i was getting with the PSU that doesn't work with anything that's not Gateway. So now i am a happy modder and i have a bunch more computers!?!?!??!

Aight i will update you soon with some more information on how this is going.

3. Bust_A_Cap

Computer Back up and running

Aight, well finally everything is working. I tried to install Windows XP on the computer just for the fun of it but the built in drivers screwed up what came up on the screen. It split the screen, but made it so you could go off the screen on one aside and come back on the screen on the other side. It entertained me for about an hour but then I got frustrated and just installed Windows 98 back on the computer. I installed the drivers for the SGI video card and I put the new version of MAME on there, v.86b. Also after messing around with several frontend’s I decided to use MAMEWAH. When I tried to use Game Launch some of the games wouldn’t work, but if I opened them through the command prompt they worked. And in MAMEWAH they worked. I was looking at trying to use this 3DArcade frontend that I ran across but I couldn’t get it to work, so I decided not to. I still haven’t installed the I-PAC controller stuff yet, I am trying to get all the games that I want, to work before I install that. For some reason I still can’t get Area51 to work. I am using roms from set v.81. I think that I the problem because I was looking around online and it said that Area51 roms were updated when MAMEv.82 came out. Also I can get any of the Art of Fighting games to work. If anyone knows where I can get an older version of MAME….something before v.82, that would be great. I think it would be a lot easier and cheaper if I just got an older version of MAME instead of purchasing the updates for the roms.

Thank you, feel free to post comments and suggestions!!!!

4. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

have you actually got the .chd file for area 51? you need that for the hdd based games such as A51 and killer instinct ;)

5. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

hey Bust-A-Cap, i should be getting my roms some time this week. as soon as they come in, i'll let you know.

6. Bust_A_Cap

MrDT: Yeah i have the .chd file but it says that i am missing some files...i am almost positive it has to do with the fact that i have a newer version of MAME.

kaotic504: SWEET!! Thanks man

7. Bust_A_Cap

Allright, I have been trying to get some games to work, and I have been pretty successful with most of them. But it seems that i can't get any of the Neo Geo roms to work. This includes King of Fighters, King of Monsters, Metal Slug, Magical Drop....etc.

The weird thing is that i can play them in a Neo Geo emulator that i have but i can't get them to work in MAME. Does anybody know of a Neo Geo emulator that works with MAMEWAH? The one that i have you have to use the mouse to select the games, and i don't think it works with MAMEWAH, it is called NeoRAGEX.

8. kaotic504

Bust-A-Cap, got them in the mail today, just PM w/ the names of the roms you need. i might need the zip file names b/c that's what the dvd's are filled w/. i can't believe there are 7dvd's worth. i don't think this is ABSOLUTELY all of them, but it should be most of them. i don't see the DragonBall Z games in here yet. oh, these are for MAME v.88. i use MAME32 btw.

9. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

Seems to me you don't have the neo geo bios file :duh:

Send me a pm with your email address and i'll sort you out :thumb:

As far as area 51 is concerned im not sure if that has its own bios as i dont have that particular game. say the rom is called area51, make sure that you place your area51.chd file in a directory named area51 in your roms folder. If that doesn't work i can't help you any more im afraid :(

PS: pretty much any command line emulator should work with mamewah iirc, so look out for them when searching :)

10. Tek Heathen

Tek Heathen What's a Dremel?

That sounds like your missing the bios file, search your Rom's folder to make sure 'neogeo' is in there if it's not it's only 233kb so some one will fix you up.

Nice work btw.

( yeah it's my first post here so hi everyone :D )

11. Bust_A_Cap

aight, i PM'ed some people so yeah i should have these games up and running. Hopefully I will get the best game ever working....Windjammers.....that is the coolest game ever. You throw frisbee's at high speeds.....almost like tennis, with frisbees!!!!

Thank you everyone!!!

12. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

ygm ;)

13. Bust_A_Cap

MrDT: THANK YOU!!!!! A big thanks goes out to MrDT becuase he solved my problems that i was having with all of the neo geo games....i didn't have the Neo Geo bios.

THANK YOU!!!

Game installation is continuing

14. Bust_A_Cap

kaotic504: Well i got ALMOST all of the roms that I want to work. I still can't get Area51 or any of the Tekkan's to work....or Soul Calaber....i think i might need to have bios files for them or something. They aren't that important to have so it's aight that they dont' work.

Now that i am using MAMEWAH isntead of GameLauncher, everything runs a lot smoother and I don't have to mess with any of the frameskip stuff.

I am trying to get the DVD drive to work....but not having to much luck. When i check out the drivers for it and the porperties of it......the computer says it is just a CD drive. It is from a gateway computer.....if that makes any difference. I am going to hunt around to see if i can find some drivers for it.....hopefully i can.

Any help with the DVD drive would be great, THANK YOU!!!!

15. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

If you're trying to view movies you will need a decoder of some sort, either hardware or software.

Powerdvd and windvd are popular software decoders :thumb:

If you are trying to just view data it should work out of the box, but then again, this is windows :rolleyes:

16. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

If your looking for ROMS to test with look into the newsgroups. I have seen thousands of ROMS for all consoles. Also the DOS version of MAME will run the best. There are some decent front ends to make it look better, but without the Windows overhead, the games run much better. I may have missed it, but what video card are you running? I am using an old PII 450 with a 21" Viewsonic as my MAME machine running MAME32 but the video card is having a heck of a time keeping up. What do you have your video setting at in MAME?

Where did you put the keyboard and mouse. Most arcade cabs I have seen have a slide out drawer. Also I would recomend a sub for the cab, it makes a big difference. Also if you plan on running any Williams games, you may want to upgrade your 4way joystick to an 8 way joystick. Games like Robotron and Joust need 8 way. Any plans for a trackball?

What are you using to test the ROMS? If these are arcade ROMS there are a few good programs to test and rebuild.

BTW very cool build. :rock: I have been wanting to build one for ever, but I don't have the hardware to handle the engine yet and my wife isn't into it as much a I am (translate, no way I can spend money on a game machine).

17. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

you'd be surprised how cheaply you can build these things :)

i reckon it's more of a case that she doesnt want a coinop in the living room? :p

18. Bust_A_Cap

Aight, about the video card.....i'm not EXACTLY sure what kind it is....but it's a special video card for my special monitor <it's an SGI>. I am pretty sure as long as your card supports directX and openGL you should be fine....i think all you really need is like 16mb or something above that, just a guess.

I was using a wireless mouse and keyboard that i got off of ebay for $0.01usd <the catch was that shipping was 15 bucks>. But anyways the keyboard would freak out sometimes and just pretend like the down arrow or up arrow was pressed down.....so i switched the wireless keyboard out for a wired one. It just sits behind my arcade machine. If i need to use it the cord reaches around to the front. I just kept the wireless mouse so that i can bring that around to the front of the arcade machine when needed.

The roms are MAME roms. So i test them by just launching them and seeing if they work. If you want to know more about the roms PM me.

The joysticks are already 8-way and i don't think i will ever put a track ball in cause i'm not real big on the track ball games, or spinner games.

Thanks for all the comments. My problem with the DVD drive is that i get the computer to reconginize it as a DVD drive, but i can access the drive. Like i can see all the DVD files, but i can't play them. I am going to see if i can get a decoder to see if that will make it work.

Does anybody know if there are tutorials about setting up DVD drives?

Thank you

19. kaotic504

if they're movies that you're trying to play, they're right, you will need a decoder or a player. something like powerDVD or winDVD will do you just fine. you can see the files, access them, and transfer them? if you can, the dvd drive is fine, but if you can't watch movies, it's b/c you need the proper software to play the movies. check the disks that came w/ the gateway. usually manufacturers will put the software that come w/ the hardware included.

20. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

liek kaotic504 stated get a software decoder, i like powerdvd, and have used it since v3.(something) and it ran with out any problems on my old p3 500, so if this machine has more power then that (p3 500 64 megs of pc100 and win98se) it will be fine, and you can download it on line as a trial, runs liek 15 minutes i think (might be 5) to see if it will work on your setup, and if you like it you can activate it for like 29.99 or so.