1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trailstar, 13 Nov 2004.

1. trailstar

trailstar What's a Dremel?

So ive got my new pc running and im well happy with it.

But i need a new keyboard, and i do prefer laptop key style and the feel of the keys. But i cant really find any that are like that.

You guys/gals got any recommendations?

trail :)

2. MadAsABadger

MadAsABadger What's a Dremel?

If you are a gamer consider the mighty Z-Board, it is a real crazy arse design, take a look:

[​IMG]

Basically you can remove the standard keyset and wack on a hardcore gaming keyset, they also release special keysets for popular games such as Doom 3 etc.

I use one, it beats using cursor keys and makes changing weapons a little easier but I still have a long way to go to become a true Jedi!

Its not cheap at £40 but its fun and the new USB version seems to be getting off to a good start.

Back to the world of standard keyboards, Logitech and Microsoft have plently of otpions.

3. trailstar

that looks pretty sweet! Where can i get one?

4. MadAsABadger

If you cant source one from your normal supplier message me and I will help you out, dont want to pimp our kit on a forum, just showing off a cool gadget for you guys to enjoy.

The keysets are limited edition, i know they do Doom 3 and Everquest, I dont know if they have a HL2 one on the way or not?

The Cross Fire which you get with it is a generic FPS keyset suitable for most games. I find the fact the movement keys are larger and in the optiminal place make certain things easier, leaning around corners while shooting as an example.

One thing, dont be using it for no clan games for the first few days, it takes bit of time to get used to!

5. trailstar

thing is im not actually that much of a gamer. But i play cod a lot

6. MadAsABadger

may be a bit of an overkill to spend £40 on a keyboard if you dont play FPS a lot. I think in the US they do special keysets for applications, office for example. I would imagine they will release these in the UK in time.

Basically its an upgardable keyboard! a bit different but not everyones cup of tea. I wonder why people did not hink of it sooner, gamers have been bashing the cursor or WSAD keys for years now!

Anyone every uses the MS Stratgic Commander,
    [​IMG]

or the Terratec Gaming Claw? I tried once for age of empires but could not get used to it. Another one of those purchases that ended up on the shelf.

7. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I don't think there are keyboard out their, like in a laptop. Because most people prefer a normal keyboard. And they are much better from a ergonomic (sp?) point of view aswell.

but I'm sure there is some way to mod a laptopkeyboard to use it on a normal computer. Try googling for some answers? Or wait for a reply here, I'm sure somebody has done this before.

If you don't like the numpad of a normal keyboard, then you should check out Logitech, they have a new set of keyboards, wich have a seperate numpad for it... just don't use the numpad, and voila...

and if you would ever need the numpad, then you have one aswell.
    They aren't very cheap though.. but good peripherals are important.

Also, you should check out those roll up keyboard, maybe they have a same touch as a laptop keyboard...

good luck on your search
    L

8. trailstar

nah, you got me wrong.. Its not the actual layout. Just the way a key feels, the fact it doesnt have much travel for the key to be pressed fully. There quieter as well.

9. MadAsABadger

i have a benq keyboard with a mini pc, it feels just like my laptop keyboard with the same type of keys

[​IMG]