1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mame?

Discussion in 'General' started by UNO, 15 Nov 2004.

1. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

hey uno here

i have noticed that alot of mame projects have been popping up all over bit tech and i am wondering what is mame how do you get it how do you get games for it what all do you need what programs do you have to install????? :confused: :confused:

it realy sucks because i see all thies cool mods yet i dont have or know how to use the program.

your help will be greatly apreciated.

the only UNO

2. a9on87

a9on87 ...

A quick google search for mame comes up with exactly what you want!

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

There is a gaming forum you know.

Have a search around the net. Legally, you are supposed to own the games that you have ROMs of. Mame32 is a nice windows version of mame but with a simple GUI instead of being command line based. You might want to try that out first.

but yeah, www.google.com. seriously.

4. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

i did a google search but when i got to the downloads portion of the mame web site all i see is giberish i havnt the slightest clue on what to dld

i see binary archives?
    sourse code archives?
    win32 compile utilities?

wtf does all this mean

and where do i get roms for this?

5. maxxbasher

maxxbasher What's a Dremel?

Is it OK to post a link for the mame emulator, afterall emulators are not illegal

6. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

7. maxxbasher

8. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

sorry....i know thies questions seem stupid but what is a frontend and a binary?

9. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

mame is open source (the code is available for all to play around with) so you can either download the sourcecode and compile it yourself, or (what's probably best for you :rolleyes: ) download the binary which is a compiled executable that you can run right way.

the program itself is command line based. A frontend is another program you use in conjunction with mame, to launch games easily from a graphical interface as opposed to having to type out instructions in a dos window.

have you got an emulator up and running yet? good luck :)

10. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

hmm...ok so i need to dld mame32 and a binary and a sorcefront thing?

11. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

read it again. twice if you like.

follow the first link, after the annoying advert, get the 'binary', it's one of the three options (hint - the top one :thumb: )

then you'll need to unzip it. if you dont have windows xp, use winzip or winrar to do this. before you ask what they are, try google ;)

then you should be able to run mame32.

this is useless without roms though. follow the second link i posted to get a couple of legal roms for testing.

easy :)

12. maxxbasher

If you download the one that i have suggested all you have to do is as follows,
    Download the programme,
    Once downloaded double click the file,once you have done that a folder will appear on your desktop called mame32, open this folder and you will see an icon with the picture of an arcade machine on it, right click that icon and create a desktop short cut. once you have done that put the said mame32 folder into your programme files folder,Thats it it is now installed, to add roms all you have to do is get some roms (there are legal ones on the link i have provided,) Download which rom you want, open the mame32 folder that you have just placed in your programme files,inside the mame32 folder you will find another folder called roms, open it, and drag and drop your new rom in to the rom folder.Now close all folders and double click your desktop icon of the arcade machine, The programme will launch, and you will see a progress bar, let it run, the reason for the progress bar is because it is searching for installed roms.Once the progress has finished, jump up and down and shout YEEEHAAA (Don't worry i did the same thing) you are now ready to play. Have fun.

13. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

ok i have finaly done it.....
    i have played my first game in mame
    you guys are soo helpful thank you so much i am sorry if i have been a pain in the ass

thank you verry much UNO

14. maxxbasher

No problem, your not a pain your just learning, like everybody else.