1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Delayed dilemma

Discussion in 'Modding' started by nick01, 15 Nov 2004.

1. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

I sneezed while working on a MB. Apparently there were some solids mixed in the exhaust air steram. A chunk landed unnoticed on the MB, in the vicinity of the 12V power connector. The chunk got electrolyzed pretty well, but some traces acted as sacrificial electrodes. While fixing the traces the connector shell melted and ebmedded the pins at a weired angle, so now I have a MB without 12V auxiliary connector.

2. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Thats just nasty and unfortunate!!! :jawdrop:
    I wonder what the probability was of that happening?

prob in the order of 12! [12 factorial]

3. Ph33r Viper

Ph33r Viper What's a Dremel?

Lesson: Never Ever sneeze directly onto motherboard.

Motherboard + Sneezing = Dead Mobo

4. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

Learned my lesson, this time I turned on the heaters to prevent cold; air got dry; static charging increased; radiators didn't ground properly; CPU got very upset when I hugged it. Looks like a no win situation. :wallbash:

5. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

So you used an anti static wrist strap to a radiator and the CPU still got fried? After what has already happened, that really is bad luck. Next time, try making the comp in a room without a carpet, earth the case, earth yourself to the cold water pipes. Wear nylon free clothing. Make and wear gloves made of antistatic foil. Wear a dust mask (in case you sneeze). Make sure you use a portable mains generator instead of the mains in case lightning strikes when you test it. With luck like that, all there precautions are essential to your future success with computer making. Maybe it's third time lucky?

(note that I was kidding about some of the precautions up there... (starting at antistatic gloves);) Seriously, I hope it all works out in the end - don't give up!)

Last edited: 18 Nov 2004