1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Can't afford aluminum.. soooo.....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BluFluX, 26 Apr 2002.

1. BluFluX

BluFluX What's a Dremel?

I really cant spend the money on an alu case right now, so i went ahead and took the vacation days i was planning on making a fanbus and hook up my LCD to paint it instead.

Before....
    [​IMG]
    and after...
    [​IMG]

I was a bit anxsious to post pics so i didnt buff it up before-hand... the smudges came off easily. Also, the digicam we have is a bit low quality so it makes it look pretty grainy.

I also put in a top window to view the CDROM window mod i did, and covered up the wires behind it with a dead 3 gigger i had laying around. The entire inside is painted black now so the pic didnt come out as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quick note... my motherboard tray came with a hole almost directly behind the processor... I got a burr up there one day and decided to see what a fan would do back there and found it decreased temp by around 5 degrees.... while i did the painting i went ahead and cut a larger hole in the back so the air would be blowing across the entire processor backside...

Im going to run to homedepot and grab some rubber window stripping and clean the windows up a bit asap...

The bay with the design in it is just that... I took a bayplate that came with my floppy drive, cut a tribal symbol out of black paper, sandwiched it like so: strip of clear plastic, design, strip of translucent plastic, strip of clear plastic and taped it to the inside of the bayplate...

[​IMG]

When the plate was down low (like in the before pic) the blue neon lit it well, but now that it is on top, im going to have to find a way to light it seperately which shouldnt be a problem.

There are alot of things i could have done different, or better, but i only had a couple days to do it so it was a semi rush situation.

LATE! :)

2. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

nice job :) now get saving for a real alu case :) you know it makes sense ;)

3. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

Looks cool

4. BluFluX

BluFluX What's a Dremel?

Oh yes... oh, oh yes... I must have. But the li im wanting costs upwards of 150-175USD and until I can get that... 11 and a little time was a much better deal :D

5. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

good man :) you can't go wrong with a li, i love mine :) which one you want?

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

if you have the room for it, i highly recommend a 70 series ... sooooooo much room to work with in em, and lots of drive bays ... i got the pc 71 cause i wanted a black/green motif ...

7. Cyberdome

Cyberdome What's a Dremel?

nice way to lie people saying that 'my case is alu !' :D

8. Vectrex

Vectrex What's a Dremel?

The paint job looks pretty nice, you sand in between all your coats?

I would recommend putting some molding around your window, those cuts look a little fugly, and I think it would look a lot cleaner with some molding around it.

That's about it... nice work...

9. BluFluX

BluFluX What's a Dremel?

Loopyjuice & TK421: Im looking at either the 68 (cause of the industrial feel) or the 71 (for the room) I really havnt decided though. Li's own though.

Vectrex & Cyberdome: Yea I sanded between... At first I was attempting to sand in a manner to get the alu texture but I couldnt get it down just right so i stopped that... but i can almost pull it off to an untrained eye Also, if you'll look right above the last pic, i have "Im going to run to homedepot and grab some rubber window stripping and clean the windows up a bit asap... " :dude: As soon as it stops raining all the time here im going to grab some since i need some other large items too that would get wet in the truck right now. :sigh:

10. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

ah i'd rather the pc 60, i don't like the intakes on the 68 or whatever it is :rolleyes:

11. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

if that case is plastic than you just made a l337 ghett0 aluminum bawx of science :D

12. danielctull

danielctull What's a Dremel?

woah, that is one nice cse you got there now! good job

13. BluFluX

BluFluX What's a Dremel?

lol "Project Ghetto Aluminum" :lol:

Yea it's plastic... i think i payed 50USD for the original box.. then borked it all up with all that crap several years ago... it was becomming an eye-sore.

Saving for that Li though :)