1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mounting Crystal Orb on Ati Cards

Discussion in 'Modding' started by LordZozma, 27 Apr 2002.

1. LordZozma

LordZozma What's a Dremel?

has anyone mounted a crystal orb vga card fan onto a ati all in wonder 7500? I was messing around and wasn't able to mount it what so ever and need less to say I got pissed. Right after that I was messing about with wires and in the process I think by messing up the serial cable my lcd screen acts a little funny now. 2nd line goes to the 3rd line while the 3rd line to the 2nd I dunno if anyone know how or what the problem is with that. But let me know if its possible to mount a crystal orb fan to the ati cards because I can figure out how

2. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

ati cards lack pins to attatch heatsinks or new fan assemblies.... use thermal frag tape or a thermal epoxy..... warn you though.. thermal epoxy is very permanent, and doing anything to the card viods warranty

3. Vectrex

Vectrex What's a Dremel?

Yes, I'm just backing up what cderalow said. All you have to do is use thermal epoxy, it is PLENTY strong to hold a Crystal Orb on your GPU.

You planning on putting some Ramsinks on your card as well? That's what I had planned for the future.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I was going to mod my Radeon but to be honest I don't need to overclock it and I don't want the added noise of a crystal orb.

Be VERY careful not to get any of the epoxy on the pins of ram chips or anywhere else as it is slightly conductive. A small application of artic silver to the middle of the chip and 4 small dabs of eposxy on the corners usually does the job and it much easier to remove than if u cover the whole thing in epoxy!

5. LordZozma

Do you guys think mounting a crystal orb is really worth it? All I do with my ati card is play Soldiers Of Fortune 2 and some other war and strategy games and watch yv and record shows

6. Thorfinn

Thorfinn What's a Dremel?

I do not think that the mounting of a Crystal Orb is needed. I have my Radeon 8500 passively cooled. I pried off the original HSF with a knife. I affixed the new HeatSink with AS3, and small amounts of superglue at each corner.

[​IMG]

7. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

To be honest, I wouldn't bother then m8! I used to change the heatsink on all my Nvidia cards, but since changing to the Radeon 8500 and the hassles of no mounting holes I haven't bothered! The stock cooling has been fine, even with a little overclocking (but not too much), and unless you are planning to overclock a lot it should be fine! Unless that is that the only thing you look at through a case window is the Graphics card and you want it to be super shiny and cool looking!;)

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I can only see two reasons for modding a gfx card and they are:

1. To make it look better if you have a window, and most heatsinks are on the bottom of the card so you don't actually see they anyway. Or to make it quieter as in the case above with passive cooling
    2. To get an extra few fps or 3D marks.

If you really care that much about these two things then it might be worth voiding your warrenty and risking changing them.

The cards were designed to function with the heatisnk they come with. I leave the decision up to you....

Sorry for that blasphemy but a lot of people think that it is neccessary to mod gfx cards and end up killing them.

9. LordZozma

yeah then I am probably not gonna add this crystal orb because I probably wont even be able to see it and I am not overclocking. Thanks alot for your help guys you saved me some trouble