1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Workshop computer

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bard, 26 Nov 2004.

1. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I would like to set up a computer in my workshop, to have access to bit-tech, MSN and Sketchup while working. I am, however, worried about dust problems.
    The computer itself will probably just be an old PIII, so I'm not particularly worried about it, but will it function in a workshop environment, where it tends to be quite dusty some times? The monitor, which will be a 17" CRT. Is there any way I can prevent dust from entering it through the ventilation holes?

2. Jayson

Jayson What's a Dremel?

you could run it passively cooled. although not too practical. other than that have dust fiters on the intake fans and just clean them very often.

3. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

I work for a printing company. We have several computers on our press room floor. The environment is very dusty, the spray powder used to help keep the sheets separated gets into everything. The computers are unmodified (2 older Macs and a couple of NT based servers/RIPs) and are plugging along with no problems.

Just wanted to give you a reference, those computers have been on our floor for 3 years now untouched, unmaintained working just fine. My suggestions: 1)Get one of those molded clear plastic keyboard covers, the keyboards on our pressroom floor are nasty! 2) Seal your case and add some sort of basic air filtration on the intakes or plan on a good vacuuming every 6 months or so. 3)Mod your monitor (we have had to replace these on the shop floor...forgot about that :) ) Change from passive cooling to active filtered cooling, seal off the top air vents on the monitor case.

Hope this helps!

[offtopic]Thanks so much for your mod guide on vandal switches! Your solution was the catalyst for me making my own version![/offtopic]

4. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

if you want a cheap disposable air filter for your fans, but dont mind a little embaressment, theres a good solution.

ask your gf/mum where she buys her tights from (embarressment 1), then go and buy a pack (embarressment 2). then just cut out a square, stretch it over your fan, and fix in place with an elastic band or tape.

it might not be elegant, but its a nice filter for large particles, and its hellishly cheap (like, one pack of tights will last you for a looong time and make many filters).

as it is, i have a little PII i put in my prothers workshop (he is a dude who makes wrought iron stuff). the dust in there is horrendous, as is the heat levels (he has a forge, and is always angle-grinding stuff to smooth out welds). the machine runs just fine, but the plastic over the keyboard is a very good idea. i got sick of replacing his keyboard, so gave him a new cheapo keyboard and wrapped some cling-film around it. all he has to do is replace the cling-film occasionally.

whilst is nice to keep a pc in pristine condition, they seem to be able to put up with an awfull lot of abuse.

5. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

What about an unusual case design to solve the prob...

have a desktop style case flat with fans on the top but otherwise completely sealed.And a baffle round the outside. Kind of like a shoe box and lid. Stand the lid off the rest of the case with some rubber legs or something and the only dust that will get in is the really really light airborn stuff.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2004
  6. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

ooooh, quite a nice idea. i like the sound of that shape.

7. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

Bard,

I work in a wood window factory, so I feel I'm qualified to post my 2¢, as much as greywolf...lol. Trust me, there's no dust like sawdust! And the same thing that greywolf described is what we do at our plant...... nothing. They work just fine. We also have no air conditioning and must maintain a relative humidity of at least 75%. That is to say - it gets damn hot in the summer and the computers run just fine without any special filtering or cooling.

Greywolf has given good advice to you on the keyboard and monitor, but personally. I wouldn't worry about it. I run a computer in my woodshop without a case cover year round for the last 4 years. An occasional compressed air cleaning is all I do.

luvbug

8. kobaj

kobaj Banned

well raise your computer up with some small feet and put some fans on the bottom and get rid of all the other wholes,oh and that filter idea would help. Or why dont you just get water coooling and plug everywhole,you dont nead a fan for the radiater should still work fine.

9. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

I would say...if you can do it...passive cooling would work very very well. I'm worried about the PSU sucking up conductive stuff into it though.

What would I do? Devise a SINGLE filtered input using something like you'd use to breath (read: air mask filters), then hook those up. If you have some decent airflow, you should be able to pull some air up through them. Otherwise, those home heating and cooling filters should work very well.