1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding CODAR Ruggedized PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TheCrackbaby, 29 Nov 2004.

1. TheCrackbaby

TheCrackbaby What's a Dremel?

Here is a mod a friend of mine and I did over 4 days. The case is a old surplused CODAR ruggedized PC. It was a 486 dx4 100 with 32 megs of ram. It now is a p4 3.0c with 1 gig of ram and a 9800 pro. the fans you can see on the back are aluminum cages with a steel blade assembly and move more air than you can imagine.
    The modem port has a network port in it and the iee488 has DVI and the scsi now has headphone jacks for the soundcard. my fav is the environmentally sealed usb ports and the keyboard. the original keyboard was replaced witha viewsonic slim keyboard and the original keyboard cable was modded into a usb cable. there is a 4 port usb hub hidden in the keyboard.

Pics at http://www.merrill-johnson.com/mod

Love to hear questions and comments, also not quite sure this is the right thread being that is is essentially complete, not a work in progress

2. ShagBeard

ShagBeard What's a Dremel?

that sir, is one pimp case. where di you get such a beast?

took a second look at this beast...
    btw, is that monitor in the front of the case functional? or are you just not using it?

Last edited: 30 Nov 2004
  3. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Awesome :jawdrop:.

4. moddenmania

moddenmania What's a Dremel?

thats one great job :clap:

5. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Nice job, oh and BTW welcome to the forums!!
    And nice to see a fellow Utah resident, pretty cool. Hope to see you at protocol.

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

It looks cool, but I think the Enermax and P4 stickers are a bit of an eyesore.

7. inzane86

inzane86 engineer with an axe

Great mod..
    But where is the rat?

8. TheCrackbaby

TheCrackbaby What's a Dremel?

The rat! and other stuff.

the rat was still being decided on at the time. it was either going to be a old intellimouse optical or a wireless mouse of some kind, being that it was for him, I just put a usb port in the keyboard and said your call. The case was bought with 2 others in a Air Force surplus auction online. We had to go pick it up at Hill AFB. As for the stickers, military hardware always has garish, loud stickers and instructions all over everything. overall glad you guys liked it tho. and SLC rulez. Getting ideas for next mod.

[edit]
    finished reading the posts and realized I didn't answer the LCD question. It isn't currently functional as the LCD controller it came with was a ISA card, and we haven't had time to find/order another controller... is EarthLCD the only place to buy controllers like that? one case died (horrible death from a baseball bat... :D and another is the mod, so I still have one of the cases. It's EMI shielded and has a EMI filter on the power coming into the case.
    [/edit]

Last edited: 30 Nov 2004
  9. Tos

Tos What's a Dremel?

nice work, but it deserves some heavy cable management, to say the least ;)

10. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

looks good :dremel: :thumb: