1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Taking modding to the next level!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by wmandra, 29 Nov 2004.

1. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

Well, I was sitting here bored the other night and had a thought..... So many people put their talent, time, and money into modding their computers, but what about the rooms or workstation area that the computers are in?? I mean, I've seen some awsome looking computers out there, but most of the time they are just placed on or around standard boring desks in standard boring rooms. I think it's time to change all that!!

I have decided to do a complete room mod! Right now I'm open to any and all ideas and suggestions, so nothing will be considered to over the top. I am prepared to do pretty much anything here including constructing walls if I have to.

Some of the ideas I already have are:
    1. Construct a false floor and place 1ftx1ft blue Perspex tiles in it and light it from below. (Perspex is basically an opaque acryllic that is suitable for floors and will let some light pass though)
    2. Some sort of motorized chair / desk.

Can't wait to hear your suggestions,
    Bill

2. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

What about: Alien movie corridoors. Star Trek room.

3. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

heh already ahead of you my friend. Since im remodling the garage as my new room ive gone out and bought a steel workstation computer desk and im drilling plexi glass on to one side (so i can have a custom led in there) and adding tubbing coming out from my pc and my desk and into the wall (air duct tubing repainted) So it looks like something from invader zim/the matrix , with power cords and industrial future look , i should be done in about another month or so,ill post when done

But i say industrial future look is the way to go :rock:

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Speaking alien, try the webby ikky walls, put heads into it etc... cud be interesting, though scary to sleep in..

5. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

I'd be over the whole room-modding thing, but I'm moving out in about a year anyways, then it's college. Maybe once I have my own place. :)

6. Springs

Springs Boing boing

if your really clever how about some motorised things like you see in futuristic films... like sliding panels inside the wall where it will reveal something when its open... and a remote control fro everything :D

7. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

You can do sliding panels with hydraulics! Have a pump put water-filled overpressure in one side of a piston and then open the valve on the other side. That could make for pretty neat effects, and an uber-l337 stylin! :dremel:

It'll have your mates going :jawdrop:

8. infernis

infernis What's a Dremel?

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. I have seen very few monitor and peripheral customizations, especially examples that complement a modified chassis.

9. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

you should get like a computer and monitor mounted and recessed into the wall with a hydaulic/pneumatic cover so you go in press a button and the computer just appears. it would also be awesome to have like a screen on the cieling and a projector recessed into the floor. that would be awesome. Just some ideas.

10. furqan

furqan What's a Dremel?

have your screen in a recess in the wall (kinda like what lcdguy said)and motorised doors infront and also have the keyboard in a recess in your desk with a opaque piece of perspex ontop and with apress of a (concealed) button everything emerges

11. wmandra

wmandra What's a Dremel?

so far the ideas sound great... keep em coming...

I have made some decisions though, between the cost of the perspex needed and all the construction materials to raise the floor I have decided to go with a standard raised access floor, however I found a company that can get the floor tiles in any color, so I'm going to go with high gloss black around the eadges and high gloss blue in the middle, unfortunately the tiles won't have the glowing effect like the Perspex, but I will probably add some kind of lighting around the edges of the platform.

Although I like the ideas with the automated sliding doors and whatnot, I am using 3 flat panel LCDs(with another on the way) so I will probably get a mount like the one in the movie Swordfish for all the displays (cyberguys.com sells one that attaches to a desk.

I am thinking of getting some kind of ultra modern chair and attaching a keyboard to the left arm, since I have a 5DT dataglove that can be used for a mouse i would be able to relax when surfing the net. I am thinking of building some kind of motorized arm though that attaches the chair to the desk or floor, but I haven't worked all of this out yet.

Bill

12. Springs

Springs Boing boing

one thing i have wanted to do it make my own computer table/chair for gaming and stuff.... and while i was watching a tv programme called "mutant X" i saw a really cool computer layout.. the chair and main desk was attached to each other and there are arm rests along the side.. and when u lift them up the keyboard lifts up staying horizontal... i sort of made a drawing of it a long time ago...its not the best but its sort of accurate... but if ur having more than 1 monitor u would have to modify it to suit ur needs...

Desk design

13. TheCrackbaby

TheCrackbaby What's a Dremel?