1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you think of the Pc my cousin is getting for christmas?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitlog, 8 Dec 2004.

1. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

AMD Athlon 64 3500 64Bit (32 Bit compatible) CPU Socket 939
    1 Gb (2 x 512 Mb) Corsair Value Select Kit, DDR, PC3200, non ECC, Lifetime Warranty
    2 x 120Gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 (7200rpm,8MB)
    LN7663 AOpen Beige/Black/Silver Chameleon 52x CD-RW + 16x DVD-ROM
    256MB XFX GeForce 6800 GT DDR3 TV + DVI
    Windows XP
    Creative Labs Sound Audigy sound card
    Inspire P580 5.1 speakers
    Microsoft Office 2003 - Basic Edition

what do the experts think :D

2. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Why 2x 120Gb drives? 1 250Gb driver is cheaper, u get 10Gb more and u can partition it to 2 partitions with ease? 2 drives just slows things down a bit does it not?

Also, no dvd-rw... i mean cmon, ure spending all that money, screw the cdrw u can get a nec 3500 for around the 40£ mark or a sony dvdrw for ~50£.

Other than that looks like any other decent specced system out there...

Proph.

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Id also reccomend some more high-end RAM for this machine. If your spending this much, the little extra for something like Crucial ballistix is definitely worth while IMO. :)

4. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

well like i said its his pc not mine,its getting bought for him by his dad,but ill ask his dad them questions.

he just wanted opions on it

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Stick with the 2 Maxtors, RAID0 goodness ;)

6. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

Looks good to me except the cdrw + regular dvd player.

you can get a duel layer dvd rewriteable for the same cost. it will burn regular cdrw plus dvds. it just seems a bit of a waste to purchase regular cdrw drives now when the dvd burners can do the same and more for the same cost. Ive seen them as low as 50 bucks at newegg.

7. pre

pre Minimodder

Also I think you can get an OEM Audigy 2 for not much more than an Audigy.

8. TMM

TMM Modder

no motherboard? :p

9. v0id

v0id What's a Dremel?

I'm building a similar system myself soon... Here are my recomendations after doing a lot of research:

- I agree with what the others were saying about the DVD drive... :thumb:
    - Downgrade your processor to a 3200+ or 3000+ winchester core and save roughly $75 - $125ish and put that extra money into some nice ram... You will easily be able to overclock the processor to 3500+ speeds, probobly much higher... but you need some ram that can handle it.
    - unless you're going to be using RAID go with one larger hard drive, or better yet if you still want two drives, go with a raptor for prog files and large hdd for space... you'll see a difference.
    - speakers - I've never really been a fan of creative's speakers all that much, i would personally go with the logitech x-530's for roughly the same $$... it will be a clearer or more crisp sound... plus you just can't beat logitech's subs... they hit hard! -- thats my 5.1 recomendation at that price anyways.

Thats just my $.02... Hope it helps, either way the system is gonna be good... a few minor tweaks here and there can really add up though... just food for thought

10. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:hehe: i dont see a motherboard listed there?
    has he got gone/is it just no listed/ or isnt he sure?

and why would just a single hdd be faster than 2 sperate ones? sureley if the os and programs and storage files are seprate the hdds would beable to access items both at the same time? speeding up the time it takes :worried:

11. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

nforce 4 boards are due to be out any week now. In that case, choose a PCI-e version of the graphics card, an SLI mobo, and NCQ capable hard drive like the newer Maxtor 250 or 300 GB drives.

:clap:

12. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

proberly sounds a bit n00bie ish but whats NCQ i have seen it in the spec of a few new hdds but not bothed to check it up what does it do ? :confused:

13. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

Native Command Queuing

Motherboard? Case? DVD-RW?

What is this computer going to be used for?

A few NForce4/K8T890/Xpress200 motherboards are already out or will be out soon.

14. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

....motherboard?! unless he's extremely into sound (which i am, hence that i bought the Audigy 2 :p ), i would go with a mobo with decent onboard sound, and save yourself ~$100. mobo sound is getting bigger and better, so i would seriously consider finding a mobo with good integrated sound and scratch the sound card (although i can certainly connect with all the audiophiles out there...i would be if i had the money :waah: )

15. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

hello,ye sorry he wasnt sure which MoB but we now know its a Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939, NVIDIA nForce3

and the case is a Akasa Eclipse-62 Midi Tower Case - Hi-End

the reason for the cdrw instead of a dvdrw is it is being took out of his old Pc and he wll be getting a DVDrw as soon as he has the money

it will be used for games mostly and basicly this Pc has been bought for him and then he will start to improve on it as he can afford it,

thanksa lot for everyones replys and i will pass them on to him

any other ideas for future improvment of this Pc would be great

thanks alot :thumb:

16. tigra

tigra What's a Dremel?

nice

17. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

the answer to ur question is for a stock rig thats pretty damned nice.

No need to speed 100% more on ram if hes not clocking the VS stuff is quite good for stock and cheap :D

Great stuff wouldnt change much at all