1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Slot loading DVD+CDRW?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by k3rnel, 9 Dec 2004.

1. k3rnel

k3rnel What's a Dremel?

Where can I find a slot loading internal CDRW+DVD? I am having such a hard time finding one its nuts. Why do they make so few of these?

2. evertek

evertek What's a Dremel?

3. k3rnel

k3rnel What's a Dremel?

I did use a search both here and on google. As you see I am looking for a slot loading dvd+cdrw. The above link doesn't give me much, if any, information.

4. Caj Darkmoon

Caj Darkmoon What's a Dremel?

Yeah, that's my thread and it didn't get much help. I have an email out to ZapWizard right now, since he's used at least one. Hopefully that will draw a response.

5. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

they don't make a slot style dvd burner or cd rw drive just a dvd rom drive only

6. mikaelgu

mikaelgu What's a Dremel?

Panasonic makes a slim DVD+CDRW and even a DVD-R, with some modding could prolly be fitted to a 5.25" bay. Here Both silver and black.
    Hope this helps

7. evertek

evertek What's a Dremel?

oops, my bad. yeah i guess the panasonic slimline is probably the only option. does any one know what apple uses as the superdrive and/or combodrive on the powermacs?? a replacement for that could work, or is that not slot loading like the notebooks?

8. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

There ARE several slot loading drives, but the only dvd/cdrw ones are slim line
    the Sony 120-S I believe is the last slot loading 5.25" drive they make. Its Dvd+CD costs about $50-60
    on the slim line side the G4 and G5 powerbooks come with a Matsushita cw-8121-c and cw-8121-b. These are Dvd/CDRW I have the 8121-c and it works like a charm you'll need a $3-7 mini ide to ide bridge.
    Here's a link to one of the units http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/173 It's rebranded panasonic but its the same thing.
    The latest generation DVDRW/CDRW drives still sots quite a bit there is one or 2 models but the only one I know off the top of my head is the Panasonic UBJ-825-B $200
    To my knowledge there are no more 5.25" slot loading drives past the 120-S. There's no market for slot loading drives on pc's as people seem to prefer the trays which are cheaper to produce.
    Go on Ebay and search for a slimline slot loading drive, you'll find em

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Is a laptop drive an option for you? You'll probably lose some speed but it's slotload and a lot smaller.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

True. You can get brackets (originally designed for 19" rackmount servers) which allow you to mount a laptop drive (and a 3.5" floppy or multimedia card reader) in a 5.25" bay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Google for "FCD-501" to find them. In the Uk you can now since recently get them here.

11. k3rnel

k3rnel What's a Dremel?

Thanks all! I am indeed going to grab the panasonic slimline. It actually helps that its a slimline as the mod I am doing requires the cdrom to not be in a bay, or even near it for that matter.

Thanks again all!