1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding power through moniter

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tater salad, 9 Dec 2004.

1. tater salad

tater salad What's a Dremel?

ok, im in the process of putting a window in my moniter and painting it. but when i made the mark for the window cutout i noticed that there would almost no ventalation with the window, so i said ahh what the hell ill put in some fans and leds or noens or somthing for lighting. so i went to google to find out how to wire them into the moniter and all i found was hundreds of different ways to bring them to my tower, but i already have more wires than i want going to my computer, so i want to know if anyone knows how to wire them into my moniter. i know its possible but i dont know how i could do this. does anyone here know how i would be able to.
    btw i have already discharged my moniter. and started priming.

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

if you have a multimeter, you could check different power connections until you find one that is suitable. you could always wire directly to the 120V (US), but for some reason i doubt that would work :p. really the only way is to grab a multimeter and check connections (for this power has to be running through the monitor though...not such a good idea if you're not careful) until you find one suitable.

3. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

hey if you do try testing for a power connection i would really watch out those things can kill you

4. Yerg2k

Yerg2k What's a Dremel?

Here's an idea that would work: Get a transformer. Hook the primary coil to AC, and stick a diode in series, and a small capacitor after the stuff. It should look like so if you draw with a mouse in photoshop to make a quick 30-second schematic:

[​IMG]

And essentially you ground your stuff with that ground output, and +v would be plus voltage. Rat shack sells some small power transformers, I think there's a 300mA one with no center tap (don't worry about what that is, it's a black wire on their larger transformers), it is pc board mount (no wires), and I believe it operates at 12.6 volts. After the diode, it should be around 12v.

Perform your resistor calc for 12v and your lights, and you will have the values of which resistors you want to use.

They also sell a 25.5volt center-tapped transformer, which has wires. After a diode, this will be about 25 volts.

The output to these transformers is still AC, so technically since LEDs are diodes, you could hook them directly to the secondary coil, but they will be on only 30 times in the 60 times per second the AC switches. That's if you are in the US btw. But the diode and capacitor make the transformer essentially a DC adapter, suitable for powering things like lights and fans.

5. tater salad

do you have any idia how much that will cost, im in a really tight budget

6. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

The only other person ive seen do this ran power wires from a molex. Probably safer than poking around the monitor PCB. Unless you have fans that run off mains AC ;)

7. tater salad

thats what im thinking but if its possible to do without bringing a wire i would like to do that. i could always run a wire temperarily.

8. Springs

Springs Boing boing

9. tater salad

ive aready seen that, which is also where i got the idia, but he takes power from the computer.which i will probably end up doing.

10. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

It probably shows in that link, but a lot of monitors have their power lines marked on the PCB..you could probably just search with your eyes and find the appropriate power source.

11. Yerg2k

Yerg2k What's a Dremel?

The cheapest transformer, which does what you want to do, is less than $4 at rat shack I believe. Diodes are 99 cents. Caps are 99 cents. I hope you have a soldering iron.

12. TroubledMind

TroubledMind What's a Dremel?

I don't remeber where exactly I saw it but for my monitor mod I got some co-ax power cables and drilled holes in my PCI in back of computer and put them in hooked up to a molex through the 12V line. By using the coax female and male connectors and running it straight through to the monitor it was easy to power anything inside and also extremely easy to disconnect it when I wanted to.

13. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

You can always wire all your stuff and connect it all to a male molex trough somewhere at the base of your monitor, and run it all from an old 300W PSU outside the monitor. all you would have to do is flip the switch on it when you want the lights to go on :thumb:

14. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Personally i'd go with the extension from the commputer idea, why go probing around your monitor risking electrical shock and possibly death! When you can just run a cable from the back of your PC into a drilled hole in the back of the monitor. Either way happy modding :dremel:

15. tater salad

ya im going with that, but i need to know where to get a molex conecter so i can hook it up to my computer.
    Yerg2k- i have a soddering gun, and i have used a soddering iron. i cant really decide which is better though

16. Springs

Springs Boing boing

u can get molex connectors from a computer shop either on their own or as a y splitter....

or try a general electronics store...

17. tater salad

so somewhere like radio shack should have them? the other would be computer surplus but im there alot and i havent seen them there.

18. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i believe so.... i dont like in the USA so i wouldnt really no...

if u go to a computer store your more likely to get Y splitters to extension leads with the molex connectors on the end then getting the molex in parts where you have to put it together your self...

19. tater salad

ahh i c. does anyone in the us know if i could find them at radio shack? im hoping to get out tomorow, so please respond asap

20. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Personally I would get a 12v "wall-mart" (so they've been dubbed) transformer, that way you don't have to mess around with your own mains wiring, all you have to do is wire it in parallel with the receptical where the lead plugs into. You would just have to watch your current draw, (not a big deal as long as you aren't using high CFM fans)