1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer will not go pass the POST screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xiachunyi, 12 Dec 2004.

1. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Hello, I recently tried to fix a friend's computer but I could not seem to get it to work.

The problem is that once the computer is turned on, it shows the BIOS of the graphics card then loads the "motherboard's manufacture" logo. The make of the motherboard is a DFI Lanparty I believe. The computer then refuses to do anything else; I could not even gain to the BIOS setup.

I have tried clearing the CMOS by cutting the power, changing the shorting block over, wait, then reverse what I had just done. The computer still remains in the same state.

There is no audible sound from the computer and all add-ons except the processor, RAM, and graphics card are used when trying to get it to POST.

I then removed the RAM and started the computer to see if the motherboard was even doing anything and it gave the beep code that there was no RAM detected in DIMM 1 so therefore that works.

My friend tells me he was typing his english paper when "lightning struck" and then the computer rebooted. The power supply is in working condition as well as the hardrive.

Could it be that the motherboard is damaged somehow? I am skeptical about this since the rest of the components of the computer work and the only thing was a lightning surge - surely the power supply could have suffered or other devices. Maybe the 3.3v line or something of that nature?

Thank you.

2. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Well his PSU could be spiking, not holding its voltage. That can cause what your describing.

I also had this happen with dead hardware, it froze the system. (it was a CD-ROM, and once, a floppy)

3. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot for the input. I'll go over to his house this week to trouble-shoot his power supply and the rest of the components.

4. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Glad to help. Its most likely the 2nd thing though, bad hardware.

5. Big_Den

Big_Den What's a Dremel?

Bit of a wild one this.

Had the same problem a while back after installing SP2. Without a bios update would not even post.

6. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

a good thing to do in these situations is unplug everything you possibly can and see if that helps.