1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics DIY USB Audio DAC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by guzzler, 13 Dec 2004.

1. guzzler

guzzler What's a Dremel?

Hi there, I can't remember if I posted this here or not. Anyway, what it is a very high quality audio DAC using the USB port as it's source. It's compatible with any OS that supports streaming audio (Linux, Windows XP, Mac etc). It's based around a PCM2702 from Texas Instruments with a switching power supply for use with batteries, and also will take power directly from USB as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More information here

g

2. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

nice...whats it do? DO i gather it is for putting music ONTO your PC via USB? if so, whats the software like? do you just tune winamp to that or something? Anyway, really nice thing there! :D

3. guzzler

guzzler What's a Dremel?

Other way round, that would be an ADC. It takes the digital output from the computer and outputs the analogue signal. It was designed to get round the problems of most PC sound cards being not really up to proper hi-fi standards, except the EMU cards, they are nice! Also, it allows cleaner power than the noisy supply from a computer PSU. Finally, it allows high quality sound from a laptop. Just choose your player and away you go. It's plug and play and will pop up as a Burr Brown PCM2702 on the screen

g

4. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

I assume you can use as many of these as you like?

Looks good btw :thumb:

5. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

Hey! I didn't realize you posted here...

I have mine about half way put together - I have all the smts soldered on, along with the ICs, connectors, and wimas (I finally found a source for them, thank god). But I haven't had a chance to order the rest of the parts, as finals are keeping me rather busy - but I'll get all the remaining parts ordered up within a week or so and I'll have it done soon after that.

Anyways I just thought I should say hi...