1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Pot Question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by animeguru, 1 May 2002.

1. animeguru

animeguru What's a Dremel?

Okay, this is a strange question but...

I'm working on a circuit that requires a 22K pot. However, I don't have any laying around. Could I just use a 50K and not turn it too far as a temporary solution?? Since one leg of the pot is connected to the ground, I'm not sure if I can do it.

Also, what about chaining two 10K pots together... can that even be done??

As it is, I will eventually get the proper pots, but I have to mail away for them and I want to test this idea before I spend any more money on the circuit (the cost on this one is getting quite high).

Thanks in advance!!

2. linear

linear Minimodder

I'd go the first route.

Remember you're using larger total resistance. It depends on the circuit, but if it's a trimmer, then you'll likely not need to turn it all the way, as opposed to 'don't turn it all the way.'

3. animeguru

Cool, thanks linear. BTW, how was the big move?? Oh yeah, didja get those bargraphs I sent out to ya??

Ya, its for a trimmer. See...

[​IMG]

Thanks

Last edited: 1 May 2002
  4. linear

linear Minimodder

Just got done, the buyers took possession last friday. :dude:

Still living out of boxes somewhat, and haven't really gotten my laboratory running (including peecee at home :() but, yeah, I did get the package. Thanks again. ;)

5. macroman

macroman The One

Hmmm....Looks like a 3 channel sound to light unit ;)

6. animeguru

Yeah, I've been working on a 10 band spectrum analyzer based off of the Velleman K4300 kit. Unfortunately, the kit has been discontinued, and my modifications to it aren't being very successful. :sigh:

I'm going to try to base a homemade circuit off of this one. I have most of the parts, except the 22K pot. As I've already spent too much on this thing, I want to test it out before I commit to buying any more parts.

I'll be swapping in some LM3914 for a 10 LED bargraph (all blue) and the filters that I got from the Velleman kit.

We shall see when I get home tonight...

7. macroman

macroman The One

You will probably find, in practise the 50K pots will work just as well as the 22K ones. :)

8. animeguru

Cool. Thanks a lot guys. My electronics knowledge was nil when I started this project, but I'm determined to do it on my own (a little help every once in a while doesn't hurt though :p )

It's amazing what you can pick up if you keep your ear to the ground and play around a lot!!

9. grafGuy

grafGuy What's a Dremel?

animeguru,

if you still interested, you can make that 50k pot into a 22k by connecting a resistor in parallel. If my calculations are correct then the resistor you need is a +- 15k.

Do, however, check the modded pot with a resistance meter to varify my calculation as it was a quick one :)

Here is a pic to show you what I mean:

[​IMG]