1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Mike's rant about Arctic's ATi Silencer2...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SFOD-D LoneWolf, 12 Dec 2004.

1. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Well, I almost got all the parts to begin modding/silencing my Aria SFF, the last one was the VGA cooler....so I setout to buy a new, silent one.

The new Arctic Silencer series caught my attention, a quick look at Arctics webby, and I was soon a proud (or so I thought) owner of the ATi Silencer 2.

The day before I picked up a new Gigabyte 9600PRO, which was to go inside my Aria SFF. I removed the Silencer packaging and the stock VGA cooler, but to my horror, 2caps were in the way. Great...., with now way to cut it, I wen't down to the store were I bought the Gigabyte 9600PRO, and replaced it for a Sapphire 9600XT. (but why the card? Read on..)

I now tried to put the Silencer on my spanking new 9600XT, and damn you Arctic Cooling....again! Now 1damn capacitator was in the way, this time, it was only 1-2MM so out came the dremel. Yey I thought, I got it on, now to put it inside the Aria.....NOT. The ram cooling is toooo damn high :eyebrow:

Why did'nt Arctic put up a list of compatible cards?
    Why did they have to make the ram coolers so long?

Anyways, now to tell you why I loved the Silencer.....because of the DHES system.

Now I need a new cooler, any sugestions?

Cheers,
    Mike

P.S.
    I actually feel better now! :p

2. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

im after a cooler for my 9600pro, ive been looking at a Vantec ICEBERQ 4 or perhaps to go for the over the top Thermaltake A1919 Giant III (the eight copper heatsinks and controllable fans make it look pretty good). any thoughts on these? or is there any more that can be recommended?

3. SFOD-D LoneWolf

I'd fully recomend a Arctic ATi Silencer 2 or 1 (numero 1 would fit for 99.9%) if you could get info wether someone mounted one on the SAME VGA card.

Other than that, go for the Zalman ZM80-D HP.

Cheers,
    Mike

4. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: Each revision of the original VGA Silencer has increased compatibility, the newest ones are designed for a specific family of cards only (probably to prevent you re-using them). I believe there is a compatibility listing but do consider there's LAODS of different brand of cards out there and witht he 9600 cards in particular companies did deviate from the ATI reference design. It just seems as though you got unlucky, or maybe had an early revision perhaps? I love my VGA Silencer, it keeps my o/c'ed 9700Pro cool on the lowest setting. If it didn't seem to fit I wouldn't persoanlly have tried to force it to fit, but then I am overly boring!

5. SFOD-D LoneWolf

I hav'ne heard of revisions as of yet in the ATI/NV Silencer range.

I'll see what I can do, the effects will be featured in my project log within the next day or two..

Cheers,
    Mike

6. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Back again...

just get the normal vga silencer rev 3.. and then just some ocz ramsinks.. it cools just the same as the new ones, but has littel to no problems due to it making contact only on the core, and giving a good 1.5-2cm clearence from pcb to bottom of the silencer

this http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=41

cheaper too by the looks of it.. it really is a brillant cooler

7. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

The Thermaltake Giant 3 is a great cooler. The mini-fan on it is rediculously loud though. Really high pitched! (The fan runs at 9k rpm for crying out loud!)

Otherwise, you cant really beat an all aluminum housing, (All fined for heat dissapation) active cooling, and two copper heatpipes. You can also do a small mod to the heatsink and attach a fan to the front of it for even better cooling.

Tags: