1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Mod: WW2 *Updated 1/17/05!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Burke, 21 Dec 2004.

1. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Okay....so here goes. This is my first case mod. If all turns out well Im going to put all the components in my sig into this case. Ive been really interested in modding since I found the [H] forums. So I figured why not right? Especially when I found a deal I couldnt pass up on to start with. I got this case http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-117-033&depa=0 for $9.99 on Turkey Day.....not a bad deal. It has a few interesting features. The Front Bezel is completely disasembleable (is that a word?) All the drive bay covers, floppy covers and complete bezel have 1/4 Plexi attatched with little silver screw caps (The round guys in the pics) So this will lead to some new things im gonna try to make it easier on me.

Okay...So this mod is going to be a WW2 Paratrooper/Airborne Themed case. Its going to be Olive Drab green with 3 White / 2Black stripes (Allied markings on Planes in WW2). Im going to cut a new window in the side, in an attempt to re-create a Window in a C-47 Sky Train Airplane (The same plane that Carried Allied Paratroopers to Normandy on D-Day June 6th 1944). Im gonna try some simple etching also.

So heres Pics of what ive done so far (excuse the poor quality on some of them its a cheap $20.00 camera and I need to use more ligthing when taking pics):

Pic #1: Mod Supplies!!

[​IMG]

Pic #2: Front Bezel tear down

[​IMG]

Pic #3: You can get an idea of How the Plexi is attatched to the Bezel here

[​IMG]

Pic #4: All Parts ready for Paint

[​IMG]

Pic #5: The Paint- Duplicor Black Vinyl & Fabric paint wSpray nozzle attatchment.

[​IMG]

Pic #6: First Ligth coat

[​IMG]

Pic #7: Last Black Coat

[​IMG]

Pic #8: The Little Plexi-to_Bezel Bolts

[​IMG]

Pic #9: Half of Front Bezel complete

[​IMG]

Pic #10: The Stripped Case..awaiting Sanding Notice the 120mm fan mount at rear!

[​IMG]

Pic #11: The Side panel....needs Bondo and New window/ Custom fan grille

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what do you guys think? It may take me alittle while with the Holidays coming, but it should be cool for a first mod when Im done........

Last edited: 17 Jan 2005
  2. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Update: Front Bezel Near completion. All put back toegther now. Just have to find Pics to but in between bay cover and Plexi then I will add them in. Also have to reglue in speaker but thats no big deal....Thinkin bout using .50 or correct size shell for power/reset buttons...gonna have to hunt.

P.S. Thanx for that link Altec, shes a top notch Modder.... I PMed her. ;)

EDIT: It looks like the aluminum side strips are bent but its not...just a weird angle. ;)

Pic!!

[​IMG]

3. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Update: Primed Case..and started bondoing that one side panel.....Couldnt really take pics cause of bad ligthing...it would just be a waste of time...will post more pics tomarrow.

Here is one though......my first etching job...a trial if you will. Maybe I should forget about etching ;) lol.

[​IMG]

4. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Case Painted Black....top OD Green

[​IMG]

Rigth Side panel getting clear coats...

[​IMG]

Case masked and getting white for white stripes....

[​IMG]

Still gotta hack the left side window.....

5. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Got the some of the pics printed on glossy paper and stuck one in the floppy/plexi drive cover....thisll give you an idea about what i was talking about. So that everyone knows I wanted this case to have a clean look to it...but with WW2'ish tones and theme...so hoepfully itll live up to a decent Noob Mod. ;)

Floppy Drive Bay cover w/ Jump Wings in between plexi

[​IMG]

Floppy Drive Bay cover in front Bezel

[​IMG]

6. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Update: Pics!

Side panel done glossy...
    [​IMG]

Case Done...glossy Allied striping theme
    [​IMG]

Case w/front bezel attatched
    [​IMG]

Tools for cutting
    [​IMG]

Side panel w/ window marks...getting ready to chop. Note: I took the pic upside down..this is the left side panel...the circles is where my CC Ligth switched will go...approx.'
    [​IMG]

First cut...looks crooked but thats the angle its pretty straight....gotta break out the jigsaw...this dremels RPM aint high enough.
    [​IMG]

Box of Goodies from SVC crazy sale...
    [​IMG]

Red CC Ligth 4" I also have a green one thats gonna go in there.
    [​IMG]

My Black thumbscrews...also from the SVC sale.
    [​IMG]

Case w/ side panel & Bezel on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im starting to think the aluminum struts on the front bezel stick out too much.....maybe I should paint them OD green too? What do you guys think. Maybe OD green then the little silver corners I could paint Black? Might fit in better.....

So....what do ya think?

7. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Got window cut out. How do I clean up the egdes? with a File? I may just use that C-Molding stuff. BTW first time using Jigsaw/dremel.....so i think I did pretty good.....

Whole side panel....gotta figure out what to do with Fan intake hoel...that grill stuff is ugly.
    [​IMG]

Upclose to cut...See I need to clean it up.
    [​IMG]

8. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

I like this. :rock:

9. thrasher

thrasher What's a Dremel?

Wow, this is coming together nicely. Great Job!

10. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

looking goood! please dont let it die!

11. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Nice work!! Maybe the photos are little blur... (taken with a ww2 age camera? hehehe..)

I realy like the allied stripes in the top.

12. Lukethegreat

Lukethegreat What's a Dremel?

wow this is a really awesome mod. keep on going, im really interestted in wwII so this one is getting my excited

13. Spitfire

Spitfire What's a Dremel?

This is looking good indeed.

14. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Thanx guys. I appreciate the comments. Im gonna be doing some more work after x-mas (im working till then..) And I gotta pick up more supplies. Also gotta practice etching a bit more..Im getting a new dremel tomarrow so itll be good.

Any ideas what to do for the fan grill? I hate the squarish mesh but dont know what to do yet. I was thinking about soemthign with Jump Wings...but havent come up with anything yet.

15. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen What's a Dremel?

are those times wrong? according to those, you did all this work in like 10 minutes

16. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

Perhaps he did it, took phots and then was still writing it up while people were posting.

17. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

You can covert the whole mesh with milliput or something like that (epoxy, bondo, etc..) or covert it with a piece o metal like a maintenace trap in a plane (with rivets or screws) and add a drawing like in the fighters nose: maybe a nude pin up woman hehehe... or Donald duck, Bugs Bunny :) If WW2 likes you, understand what i mean.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2004
  18. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

perhaps you can take a old model of a spitfire or something, and then use a dremel to cut it in half.. (so you split the wings) and then you just glue it to the front

19. Recycle Ben

Recycle Ben What's a Dremel?

I like the D-Day Invasion Stripes!

With a set sargent stripes your case could be a "Top Kick", or with
    a set of general stars it could be "Commander in Chief" .
    A set of battle ribbons might be nice.

Nice work.

20. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Oooo :eek: Never thought of that...Bronze Star, Silver Star, Purple Heart 1st Sgt. Stripes.....MMm gonna do some research on that thanx!!!

As for the time it was done over a couple of days. I basically copied my posts from my project thread at [H]...see
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=841704

Also today I went to Harbor Freight And got a holesaw set... 3/4" up to 2 1/2" with case and mandrels for....dun dun dun $2.99 +tax !!!!!! Woot, what a deal.

Also I had to order a new cheapo dremel but check the deal....My soon to be here baby.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2004