1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop for Grandma

Discussion in 'General' started by MrWillyWonka, 18 Dec 2004.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Right, my grandfather wants to buy my grandmother a laptop for christmas, I think she'll be the oldest person I know who will have a computer (she's 65).

And he's asking me which laptop to get here, budget is £750. But what do grannies use laptops for?

Give me some ideas on what they use it for and which laptop to get?

2. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

I think the only thing your looking at here is the style of the lappy. I doubt she's gonna be doin anythin other than surfin the web etc... I mean it's not like she's gonna fire up Doom3 is it :hehe: So just look at a few second hand ones, i would think any spec wold be fine :thumb: hth if not ask :p.

Death

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Spend less on the laptop and maybe get her a printer and a cheap camera. But be prepared to spend some time giving lessons :D

get something with a nice screen.

4. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

probably the lightest one you can get, not too small though.... and long battery life. you'll probably want to get her a mouse aswell

other than that, i doubt she'd be using it for anything other than surfing the web and ocasionaly typing things in word.

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Get something that'll play Solitaire, load www.bbc.co.uk/food and is capable of showing family photos easily ;)

<A88>

6. MrWillyWonka

I guess the idea of digital photography isn't a bad idea, and yes, I'm prepared for a lot of teaching lessons. It took her 3 months to get the hang of a mobile phone. :worried:

But it'll definatly be a brand new laptop not a second hand one.

7. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

secconded. untill i gave my gran a computer she was always borrowing my aunts laptop ( AMD mobile xp 3200+ 512mb ram 256mb gfx card (cant remember make) with a huge 180gb hdd) so i built her a computer out of the scrap parts i have horded over the last 6 years since i got into computers. and made her a nice P2 333 128mb ram 20gb hdd geforce 2mx that will run win xp and play solitaire hearts and spider solitaire. as she was always playing them on my computer and complaining that the screen was to small ( 17" running at 1280*1024 )

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

If she dosn't have any preference (mac vs pc) yet, then I would look into a ibook. I don't think she needs an awfull alot of power, she needs something stable for surfing the web, and emailing. Although she will probably need a big screen, to avoid reading problems.

I was going to suggest a 12" iBook. Because of its battery life and portability. But because she may want/need a bigger screen, I will advise the 14".

As has been sed, I don't expect her to play games, so for typing, mailing, surfing, those are fantastic.

They could go a little bit above budget, but definatly worth it.

PS: No I'm a Mac Fan, but they do have their advantages...

L

If you do get a PC laptop, I would make sure you get one with a Mobile processor. Performance isn't a issue, so I would aim at portability (size and weight) and Battery Life.

I hope this helped you

L

9. MrWillyWonka

I dont think its gonna be a mac, I wouldn't know how to use it, and i think it is most likely gonna be a mobile athlon xp becasuse of the power issue, and looking on the web i think i know exactly what she needs...

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Why not something Centrino-based (pentium M proc)?

I agree though, going by how my grandma uses her comp (a really old mac now and even though I suck at macs I know about 50x more lol... she didn't get cut/copy/paste) it'll be typing recipies and, of course, solitaire. In any case, don't go splurging on a gig of ram :hehe:

11. Star

Star What's a Dremel?

Dell are doing some laptops for under 700, have a look, they should be ok.

12. MrWillyWonka

My grandfather's gone off and bought a laptop with advice from my uncle - a computer genius. From what i've heard its a dell athon-xp mobile with a dvd-rw, even beats my laptop in some ways :eyebrow:

13. fev

fev Industry Fallout

dell don't do AMD do they?

14. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

my grandma is over 80 and has a computer :p

15. MrWillyWonka

Just what my uncle said, I have'nt seen the laptop yet - see it on boxing day when i see my grandparents I guess.

EDIT: Just got an email from my uncle, its not a dell its a HP laptop, on order from novatech in portsmouth, hoping to get it before christmas - they better do!!!

Last edited: 20 Dec 2004
  16. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi

This just made me think off a new possible thread, lol.
    Who is the oldest bit-tech member, and how hold is he (or she) ??

L

17. The Gut

The Gut The Gut

Why do youngsters assume that the elder are either stupid or have no aspirations? Get the most kick @ss lappy for the money. ;)

18. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

They do have some nice lapptops in there but the nicest that ive used is the widescreen one, the others arnt that great but only what ive played with in the showroom.

19. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

agree:D! Then you can go out on day trips with it:D!!! E.g. the top alienware lappy.. hmm

- Sc0

20. MrWillyWonka

The % of young people with computers is high, the % of pensioners with computers is probably < 1%, we don't assume that the elders are stupid, its just that we assume that they don't use computers, or have a need for computers.

BTW, I think HP widescreen laptops rock, they have lots of features on them, and they're not too bad on power either. These new sony viao widescreen laptops rock as well!