1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My LED Fans, with a difference

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Designer, 21 Dec 2004.

1. Designer

Designer What's a Dremel?

I got bored with having to pick LED fan colours so I thought to myself that it would be a good idea to have adjustable colour fans. So (bear in mind the pics are of the first one I built) I got into my workshop and made these:

MY MODDED FANS - CLICK HERE

The one in the pic is a 120mm Akasa, but I think doing this to 80mm is gonna be quite a pain to do. Since doing this i've noticed some full-colour RGB LED's which will be used in the next ones allowing any colour to be generated.

Here's some pics:

Red side of Tri-colour LED's
    [​IMG]
    Green side of Tri-colour LED's
    [​IMG]
    Both sides of Tri-colour LED's
    [​IMG]
    Blue LED's only
    [​IMG]

Red side of tri-colour LED's and Blue LED's (sort of purple)
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think?

Last edited: 21 Dec 2004
  2. Mr.Nonflex

Mr.Nonflex What's a Dremel?

If you post on this forum, its prefered if you post pictures, and describe them, and not just post a link to your website.

you can post your pictures using image tags information about then can be found here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode you managed to use tags to show your url, so that wont be a prioblem i gues.

btw there are rgb leds :naughty:

Are you going to use some electronics, to walk through the different colours?

Last edited: 21 Dec 2004
  3. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

Thats pretty cool. Although the amount of wires you seem to have running make a mess, but hey, its still cool.
    Some sort of electronics running through the colors would be sweet too. If not I guess you would have to have all the lights in your case change color or you would just have one fan that matches on one setting but dosen't on 4 others. :thumb:

4. Designer

Designer What's a Dremel?

Sorry about that, edited my post now to include pics (just did it like that so as not to have a massively cluttered post)

Anyways, i've considered some control options and come up with the following options:

1. I could make something up with relays to handle the switching controlled by possibly an NE555 timer IC and a Decade counter to change the sequence depending on the timer pulses (would involve some relay logic)

2. Use a spare Siemens S7-200 24V PLC i ripped out of some old equipment a while back, it's really compact and I can run it using the +12V and -12V rails to give me the 24V and to make it work with the LED's i'd just have to change the value of the series resistors. Only prob I can see with that is that I believe the logic takes it's 0 state with reference to GND which would be 0V not -12V so i'll have to get in touch with Siemens regarding that and see what they say

I'll do all the case fans and the PSU fan the same and wire everything up together to work the same so that one colour setting affects all the fans. I was also looking at ways to incorporate cold cathodes into this so changing to red would change to a red CC, blue would switch on a blue CC etc. You get the idea (god this is gonna be expensive!)

I'm planning on refining the design a little to get rid of all the messy wiring, like i said this was a first attempt so I was expecting it to be a little messy and next time round i've decided to do things a little differently like put the series resistors in-line to the wiring at the supply end and use a small ribbon cable rather than separate wires. Or better still have all of the case fans going back to a small PCB with everything on that.

5. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

Yeah, but it's a really cool idea and you've already shown that it can be done successfully! Just work on getting everything working. Once you've got all the wiring figured out, then you can work on managing the wires.

Badayss!!!
    :thumb:

6. death_star

death_star What's a Dremel?

Thats pretty cool. Good job! :rock: The red/blue is really neat lookin. I agree though the wireing is a little messy but hey ghetto for life.