1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Help me with which brand of 6600GT should i buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ozgi, 18 Dec 2004.

1. Ozgi

Ozgi What's a Dremel?

Ok so I know some of the brands like gainward gigabte....
    I just want to know that I buy a good brand with low price (under 300€)
    So just tell me all good and bad brands I don't want to buy a cheapo. :eeek:

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

XFX, Gainward, BFGTech are all good brands, they tend to supply their parts pre-overclocked too.

3. Ozgi

Ozgi What's a Dremel?

Ok thanks

4. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

could you suggest any good 6600GT's for about £130 and under ?

i found some cheap ones on dabs.com do you think they will be anygood?

here
    and here
    they have quite a few gfx cards i might go for a amd64, pci-e setup in the new year...

5. barry_n

barry_n What's a Dremel?

webbyman ure first link is a Gigabyte 6600 NON GT this i found out from the manufacturer part no. and the second link is a proper 6600GT made by Inno3D.

6. Fubie

Fubie What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know if there will be or is already a 256 MB version of this agp board?

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

There isn't a 256MB version of the board at the moment.

There is currently no need for the extra footprint - there are no games that would utilise 256MB of texture memory without Anti-Aliasing at a resolution that would be playable on 6600GT. This is likely to change when new titles arrive next year, so I would imagine that a 256MB part will arrive as and when required. By that time though, there may well be refresh products out for the mainstream, as well as for the high-end. ;)

8. Fubie

Fubie What's a Dremel?

Understood. I am just wondering about the longevity of this card. I currently have a 128 MB ti4200 which has done me well for 3 years now but is getting a bit long in tooth. I would like to buy a card with at least as much longevity. The only problem I see is PCI-X. I don't see my next mobo having PCI, AGP and PCI-X so who knows. Opinions?

9. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:] thanks do you think the Inno3D one will be any good?
    also im not sure if to go with the new pci-e boards or stick with the good ole AGP interface...

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's tough to compare this to the Ti4200 in a way, because the only real differences between the Ti4200 and the Ti4600 were clock speeds - now there is a great deal more that is different about the "midrange" and "high-end/bleeding edge" video cards, simply because there are so many different models that the two IHV's make nowadays, and they resort to internal pipeline differences over clock speed differentials to determine the higher-performing video card. However, I do think that the 6600GT will have the longetivity of the Radeon 9800 Pro, which is still a very good video card, and then some. Developers are starting to make use of Shader Model 3.0 in games, and it is one thing that will show a performance benefit for newer titles that should play tomorrow's titles with greater ease than a Radeon 9800 Pro.

Personally, I think the industry is moving away from a fairly typical situation where many of you will have a very fast CPU, but only have a mediocre video card. Games are becoming more and more GPU dependant, and thus the days where the requirement for a superfast CPU in favour of a superfast video card are numbered... At 1600x1200 you do not see a massive increase in performance by increasing the CPU speed say, 600MHz... but you do see a performance increase by increasing the video card clocks by 5-10%. :)

11. Fubie

Fubie What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help bigz! A 6600GT it is then!

12. JohnYossarian66

JohnYossarian66 What's a Dremel?

ASUS EN6600GT/TD/128M/A TOP edition (link below)
    http://uk.asus.com/products/vga/en6600gt/overview.htm

are pretty good cards. They also come factory overclocked and have a vast potential for additional overclocking should you like so.

You can find this for approximately £150 quid.

Cheers

13. |I.H|

|I.H| What's a Dremel?

14. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:eyebrow: they charge you an extra £20 to get doom 3 with it, even though its ment to be free :rolleyes: :hehe:

15. JavaBoy

JavaBoy What's a Dremel?

evga is a great brand :thumb:

16. |I.H|

|I.H| What's a Dremel?

haha, lolz
    :D

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

They should be paying you, it's horrible.

Tags: