1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Stormbringer

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Hobbes, 25 Dec 2004.

1. Hobbes

Hobbes What's a Dremel?

Hello all. I would like to introduce you guys to a mod that I have had going for a couple of years now and it is almost complete. It's been two years of blood sweat and tears but I'm pretty proud of the nearly finished results and I thought I might share it with a few of the other case modding forums. The idea is based on the sword Stormbringer from the fantasy books written by Michael Moorcock. The custom made frame is wood that has been epoxy coated, then painted to achieve the final results. Here are some of the near finished pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far I have mostly designed and completed the hundreds of pieces on the project myself with the exception of the cool grills that Bonzageo donated to the project and some lighting electronics that haven't been installed yet. I also have to give credit to the many helpful tips and suggestions that came from my home modding site at Gruntville. Without their friendship and advice the project would have never reached this point.

[​IMG]

I still have the lighting and electrical works to go to finish the project and some side artwork that I am still working on but the case is mostly complete.
    I won't flood the forums on my first outing with the worklog but if it is all right with the forum admins then I will post a link to the full worklog that can be found here. Being two years in the making it's a fairly lengthy project log. I'll post some follow up pics when I get the lighting in and the project totally done. All comments and questions are most welcome. Sincerely, Hobbes

Last edited: 25 Dec 2004
  2. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

ive been following your log off and on over at gruntville. nice to see you bring it to bit-tech. keep up the good work

3. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

That is an amazing case. Good work. :thumb:

4. The Gaji

The Gaji What's a Dremel?

I dont think the case looks that good but it lokks as if some good work had went into it. so well done still

5. bmack

bmack What's a Dremel?

that looks amazing. please more pictures and comments about it.

6. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

obviously it would catch a fair amount of attention at any LAN it arrives at :D

7. Hobbes

Hobbes What's a Dremel?

Thanks all. Obviously no mod is for everyone and I know some will find this one a bit overdone for their tastes but it was what I had in mind. I wanted lots of detail pieces and the case slowly evolved with forum suggestions and ideas to reach the point it is now. The log describes the work in detail, but briefly it started pretty much as a normal piece of Maple board that I cut and crafted into the hundreds of little pieces for the frame.
    [​IMG]

The top piece alone is made up of over 145 individual pieces.
    [​IMG]
    I have a pretty nice wood working shop and a fair bit of experience with woodworking so that is the reason behind my using wood. (Of course I didnt have enough experience to keep from cutting the end of my thumb off. If you aren't too squimish you can see the gore here )
    The star on the front is a part of the 8 arrows of chaos from the novel as is the ruby, the demon hands that cover the PSU cover, the 8 fins on the top corners. The theme is packed into the case in many places some that are obvious like the lettering and some that aren't so obvious.
    [​IMG]
    The fingers of the PSU cover were molded from clay and then cast in resin.

The coloring was a beast with the 5 different colors. The bulk of the frame was done in dark blue with a coat of the Mirage "Ice" mid coat to make it sparkle, then there were dark red areas, white areas, white and red crackle for the demon looking areas and some multi colored goldleafing.

The lighting will be done in strands of LEDs that will go in the hollow wood posts that also hide the wiring. All the wiring channels are covered with modders mesh from Bill over at mnpctech.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now the case is on its way to the CES event as part of the Intel booth (a deal I made for their generous CPU sponsorship on the project) and I will post better lighting pics as soon as I get it back and finished. Again, I sincerely appreciate all the comments and I will happily answer any specifiic questions. Thx guys, Hobbes

8. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

That case is so god damn impressive.

:rock: :clap:

9. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

:eeek: :rock:

Very nice one!
    It's unique, simple and very nice.

I would just liked Stormbringer to be bigger.
    Maybe you can put a bigger Stormbringer on one of the windows... ;)

10. Hobbes

Hobbes What's a Dremel?

Actually that is what I had planned for the future. The main case side will have fancy "Stormbringer" lettering and the back side window will have the sword with some artwork and a quote from the books that I loved "Farewell friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!" That is the last line from the older series of books after the sword has killed Elric.

11. Tos

Tos What's a Dremel?

Just looking at the pictures tells me there's a lot of sweat and blood spend on the making ... although, I'm afraid I can't say I like it, because despite the maker's efforts, it looks overmodded ( feels like "ricing" to me - i.e japanese rocket cars with huge spoilers, hideous body kits, funky paintjobs & hellspawn loads of stickers ... )
    It's a shame really, but it's about a matter of taste :D

12. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Thats going to be very nice Hobbes :baby: ;)

Tos, it isn't overdone at all, maybe you just don't happen to know Stormbringer.

I used to play the RPG and also my favourite artist Gerald Brom drew Elric.

http://www.scanraptor.com/artesan/gbrom/pages/gbrom052.htm

Just one more thing about Gerald Brom, he was the one that drew the old Doom covers.