1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLI Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Krashnicki, 26 Dec 2004.

1. Krashnicki

Krashnicki What's a Dremel?

Can anyone help me with my SLI problem? I am unable to turn on SLI in windows. When I attempt to turn it on using Nvidia nview I check the box, but when I hit apply I recieve a message stating that I need to restart my pc and switch my monitor to my primary graphics card, but as far as I can tell my monitor is plugged into the primary graphics card because the instuctions for my mobo say to connct the monitor to the graphic card in the blue pci express slot. When I do switch my monitor to the other graphics card(the black pci express slot) and reboot I recieve no image on the screen. I have an asus mobo and SLI is enabled in the bios. I have two identical MSI 6800 graphics card. I have updated the drivers and checked the sli connector that connects the two graphics cards. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had simaler problems?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What motherboard? Drivers? 70.x?

3. Krashnicki

Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe mobo, MSI NX6800 graphics card. I installed the most recent drivers Nvidia had available. I believe it is version 66.93. I am running an AMD FX-55 and windows xp with all of the updates. I have also updated the bios on my mobo to version 1003.004 and I tried to update the bios on the graphics cards through MSI but I already have the latest bios from them. Everything is running fine except for the fact that I can not enable SLI in windows.

Here is a link to the video cards I own
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-149&depa=1

Here is a link to the mobo I own
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240418

Last edited: 26 Dec 2004
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Im sure you can get 70.x betas somewhere, try guru3d.

Other then that, not having played with an SLI setup myself i cant help you sorry.

5. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I could be VERY wrong here but.
    are you using the MSI Nivida drivers
    or the Pure Nvidia drivers??
    TRy using the MSI ones if not.
    I only say so becouse to MY knowlage only the 6800GT and ultra + the 6600GT and Ultra has SLI.

And that case just says 6800. So i'm thinking that MSI did something to the drivers and card to get it working that Nivida's Drivers don't know about.

6. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

have u turned around the card for the SLi? other than that with the screen going black in the other card id say ur SLi is working

7. mulberrycrush

mulberrycrush Minimodder

There is a new BIOS I believe, on the 24th. Still a beta. try that..

station drivers should have it.

8. Krashnicki

I have alreeady updated the bios from the 24th and already checked the card the end that says dual graphics cards is inserted into the slot. I am using Nvidia drivers from there website but I was originally using drivers that MSI had supplied.

9. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

What PSU do you have with the system? Asus advise a 500W PSU with > 25A +12V current.
    You need plenty of juice with that set up.

Just to clear the compatability issue http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_hardware_certified.html

Plus I noticed that the Box has SLI multi GPU stated.

Have you tried each of the cards on there own?

Any Luck?

10. Krashnicki

I have an OCZ 600W PSU. I have not tried each card on thier own just together. What would trying them on thier own do?

I don't understand why Windows is giving me a balloon saying that my system is set up for SLI and it tells me to click on the nVidia symbol to activate it. When I do this the nview software opens up with the box for me to check to enable SLI. When I check it and hit apply I get the message that states

"Your display, which are attached to your secondary graphics card, will appear blank when sli is enabled. This is because you secondary graphics card will accelerate your primary card. Connect your display to the primary card when your system restarts."

Then the boxes go back to being unchecked. I try restarting the computer with the display hooked up to the other graphics card I recieve a blank display.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Sounds like you just need to plug your monitor into the primary card (blue slot).

If it's not that...
    Ez-plug have power?
    SLI selector in dual graphics mode?
    Daughterboard linker thing attached?
    Cards in all the way? (you never know)

I think there's only one nvidia graphics driver that supports SLI at the moment but I'm not positive. No idea which one though, sorry.

If that fails, try removing the secondary card, rebooting, let windows do it's thing, power down, add second card and SLI stuff, power up, let windows do it's thing, reboot, try software checkbox again.

12. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

There should be a jumper switch on the motherboard to switch it form single to SLI. Just a thought

after downloading the manual (lol Im bored)
    there is an EZ selector card you need to sflip over on page 164. :D

Last edited: 27 Dec 2004
  13. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

recarp as states earlier in the post, yes he has turned the card over/around. However regarding the actual problem, could it be that you had the monitor plugged into the secondary slot on the first graphics card when you booted/installed the pc. I ran into a similar problem with my radeon 9800 pro, where the video would just not work on the primary if i had the secodary one occupied at boot up. (you couldnt switch the monitor from secondary to primary while the computer was on, had to do with a driver installation problem).

14. Krashnicki

I have the monitor plugged into the blue primary pc i express slot
    The ezplug is connected
    The ez select card is set to dual
    daughter linker is attatched
    cards are properly seated
    sli is enabled in bios

I did try just one gpu and then shut down my system and installed the second one only to get the same results. Windows is giving me a balloon saying my system is now sli capable and I need to turn it on but it will not allow me to do so. It is like windows is making fun of me.

15. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Might be worth running not in SLI mode, and checking you get output from both the graphics cards (ie have BOTH cards inserted but dont run SLI)

16. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

Is it a fresh copy of Windows XP? That might be the problem.

sry about stating what he siad he did already(shouldnt post at 1:00 AM :duh: )

17. Krashnicki

I finally got SLI to enable in windows. I called up Asus and tech support instructed me to unplug my monitior which uses a DVI connector and plug in my old CRT with the vga connection. Then i rebooted and was able to enable sli. Then I switched back to my 20inch apple with the dvi and rebooted and I am good to go. I thought I would post this incase anyone in the future has this problem. I am running doom 3 in ultra quality mode. Now it is time to overclock. I currently have my AMD FX-55 up to 2.8ghz and it is GLORIOUS. Thanks to everyone for the help.

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

you have too much money....

19. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

And here was me feeling cocky with the Big Red BEast (See Sig.)

What you getting on 3Dmark 03?? 05??

*Is Green with envy*

20. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

ditto

making us all jelous :waah: :sigh: