1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Could one of these be easly controled?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by PirateTheMeep, 27 Dec 2004.

1. PirateTheMeep

PirateTheMeep What's a Dremel?

2. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

the 24x2 lcd should work fine on a paralel port, its controller is hd44780. there are guides on the forums to hook them up and its not at all difficult. didnt look at the others cuz im lazy.

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

The last one can be controlled through a parallel port, but the first two will require a laptop LCD controller, I believe. :search: on that, it's been asked all too many times. :thumb:

Last edited: 28 Dec 2004
  4. kobaj

kobaj Banned

An inverter is only for the light though. The two first ones you posted most likely requier a controller board. The lcd is real cheap its the controllers that make um exspensive.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Whoop, my bad :blush:. Sorry about that.

6. Tos

Tos What's a Dremel?

the 2d one seems to be controlable with a parallel port, ( 8bit data bus ) but you'd have to code software to drive it .. and refresh rates would be horrible ...

7. Yerg2k

Yerg2k What's a Dremel?

Yes, the first two LCDs require controllers. I have the first LCD, I ordered it not too long ago. I couldn't find a controller available online. To control it I plan on designing some sort of controller using PIC microcontrollers and programmable logic devices. This is all in free time of course. Building your own controller isn't for anyone except the biggest DIY-electronics junkes :)

8. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Just to be clear on the first two: You wont find a controller for them that can be driven by the parallel/serial port. The highest resolution supported by controllers that can be driven by the PC ports are 640x240.

The 2 LCDs listed require controllers that would need a complex interface usually reserved for embedded systems (addressable microcontrollers).

Its possible to drive one using a PIC and combinational logic. But it would not be able to handle motion screens very well. But for the purposes of displaying PC information with a graphic background, it should do nicely.