1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Sharing internet via wired network through wireless connection on laptop???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikeuk2004, 29 Dec 2004.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Hi Guys

Ok I have a wired network. Starting with a netgear DG834 ADSL Firewall Router. The Router is connected to 2x5 Port Switches. Both these switches have a total of 4 PC's and 2 Xbox's Conected.

I have installed a Netgear WG311T 108mbps Wireless Card Into my Game Server which is running on Windows XP.

What Im trying to do is connect my new Sony A217M Laptop to the internet wireless.

I have astablished a connection to my computer but cannot access the internet.

My router is the DHCP server and issuses the IP address to all PC's.

I thought I could just switch on internet connection shareing on the PC with the wireless PC card and my laptop can connect throught that. But it errors and wont initiate the connection sharing because it cant give its own ip address as the router does that.

Please can someone tell me how to get my laptop connected to the internet wirelessly through one of the PC's on a wired network.

Im new to wireless networking and just made do with wired for 8 years untill now.

Does the PC need to set up the wireless card as a access point or something and if so how??

Not sure the type of wireless card in my laptop other than its 54mbps

Any help is apreciated.

Thanks

Mike

2. the harlequin

the harlequin What's a Dremel?

If I've understood it right, you've not got any access points am I right? If this is so, then set the wireless cards to 'Ad-Hoc' mode (as opposed to 'Infrastricture' or similar).

3. Rod10k

Rod10k What's a Dremel?

You could try bridging the ethernet connection with the wireless connection. I beleive that winXP can do this. This should make it look, to your laptop, as if it is wired to the network. You should then not need ICS on the server.

Hope that makes sense.

Rod

4. djtitan

djtitan What's a Dremel?

two things, try switching the network to ad-hoc like harlequin said, this is the most likely to work. If not, try bridgeing the wired and wireless network connections.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Nope I have no access points. I wont be able to afford one for some time yet.

I tried bridging the wired and wirless connnedctions but nothing.

Also another thing. Both cards say theres a connection yet I cant view the computers in my network to get access to the shared drives. Signal strength is on max. There seems to be no documentation with my Sony Viao about wirless networking, seems to be missed out. And the documentation with netgears wireless card is limited to fitting only.

I will investigate and read all the wirless threads I can. Should of done that first then I would of know I needed a access point. Oh well.

I tried the ad-hoc also which is what its set at now.

I need to read abit on wireless networking as im a newbie to wireless.

Along time ive been a newbie to something. :)

Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Mike

Tags: