1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

k7n2 delta- overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by quactaur, 1 Jan 2005.

1. quactaur

quactaur What's a Dremel?

I have an msi K7N2 Delta, 400fsb edition and an nforce2 chipset. I am trying to overclock my amd athlon xp2800+ to 3000 or 3200 speeds. I have a coolermaster jet7+ fan on it, so i think cooling won't be much of a problem.

Whenever i push the fsb beyond 166 (the stock) , my os will freeze after an amount of time (it varies between 2-30 minutes). When i push it to 190-233fsb, the system won't even boot, no monitor signal, nothing. I have to reset the cmos/fsb using the blocks on my mobo.

I don't know what is causing this problem, is it my ram? the ram's speed is PC2700, will that be the problem? My gfx card is a 6800gt, so i doubt that is much of a problem, either. Someone told me to unsync the rams speed from the cpu's fsb, but i don't know how to do that, i tried fiddling with the fsb/dram ratio, to try and get the rams speed to 166mhz (which is normally works on). But it still won't boot. I hope members of this forum can help me out here.

Thanks in advance, Quactaur

2. TMM

TMM Modder

sounds like it could be ram related, as pc2700 is rated at 166mhz ;)
    Firstly make sure your pci/agp is locked for a start (set PCI to 33mhz OR set the AGP to 66mhz if it has either option in the bios).

Try giving the ram some more volts. 2.8v should do for a start (up from 2.5-2.6v std). Give the cpu a small voltage increase too (+0.1v).

Edge your way up slowly with the fsb, about 5mhz at a time, testing with Prime95 after every increase.

If your still having problems you may try increasing your voltages further, and loosening your ram timings.
    You could also try setting your dram:fsb ratio to 5:6(ram 5, fsb 6); that will allow you to run your fsb up to 200mhz(400fsb) and your ram wil still be at within spec @ 166mhz.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2005
  3. quactaur

quactaur What's a Dremel?

I will try that list, thanks.

I tried the 5:6 timing and i still got a boot up error, but hopefully the other settings will work too.

Thanks again

4. MovieFreak

MovieFreak What's a Dremel?

Personally I would not do it. I'm going to assume you want performance for games (I assume this because of your card).

In my experience using anything other than 1:1 ram/cpu timings with athlon XP's was never satisfactory.

5. TMM

TMM Modder

i surgested to use the 5:6 divider as only a last resort, as if it did work at over 166mhz with the 5/6 divider, then it would be safe to say that the ram is the problem :)
    btw it might be a 6/5 divider rather then a 5/6, depends on your bios. either way it runs your ram at 166mhz(ddr333) if you set your fsb to 200mhz(400fsb)

Last edited: 2 Jan 2005