1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless network troubles - AOL router settings, any one know them?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kill_me_quick, 1 Jan 2005.

1. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

Just installed a wireless network at my girlfriends house.

Includes 2 wireless laptops (one running XP SP2, the other runing XP. Both home)
    The other computer is a tower again running home, this is wired into the router.

Managed to get the internet running and can get onto certain sites including bit-tech. However I can't get onto eBay, hotmail or run msn messenger.

Also running Norton Anti-virus and Internet security 2003, have tried disabling internet security but it still doesnt let me connect to these sites.

Also here is a list of the sites off a speed test that would not respond

Any ideas? Cheers

Last edited: 2 Jan 2005
  2. kill_me_quick

Now managed to break it completly, will not connect to the internet at all and gives a flashing DSL light.

Think this may be due to the network card, but all is fine in the device manager.

cheers

3. the harlequin

the harlequin What's a Dremel?

Can you get full acces to the internet via the wired PC? For my wireless router a flashing ADSL light means that the ADSL line has dropped or it's negotiating, or something along those lines. If you can't get access to those websites/programs on the wired computer, then it's most likely to be some settings in the router that need to be configured.

Interesting to note that most of those websites are in the US.

4. kill_me_quick

Well i can't do it now because im not at their house at the moment, i wondered if the encapsulation should be set to PPPoA rather than PPPoE as that is what my BT broadband is set up too. I will give it a go next time that im round their.

5. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

If you set teh encapsulatoin wrong it wouldnt connect to the ISP at all (or shouldnt anyway). are teh settings on the laptops corrrect? i.e. either obtain via dhcp or gateway set to that of the router?

btw that speed tester is horrible. This is better

6. kill_me_quick

Well im not to sure, as its AOL (urgh) i dont know what the settings are and im not really gonna phone up technical support and stay on hold for 4hours (done that before and it isnt fun).

Im going to try some diffent setting 2morro and see if it will connect again.

If anyone knows the correct settings for a router, to be used with \AOL would you please reply

7. kill_me_quick

Fixed now. Had to restart the router.

Settings for AOL (silver) if anyone needs them is:

Encapsulation: PPPoA (VC MUX)
    VPI/VCI: 0/38
    MTU: 1400

there you go if anyone needs it. thanks to those who replied

8. blah

blah Minimodder

gfhgh

Last edited: 2 Apr 2006