1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Upgrade] Anything worth waiting for? Or should I jump now?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pheonix, 2 Jan 2005.

1. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

My XP2200+ Thoroughbred + MSI K7N2 Combo is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I quite fancy an upgrade. So I'm looking to go for Socket 939 (as that'll have more upgrade potential for the future). I've currently got a 9700pro, so I don't really want to change that this time, thus meaning I need AGP not PCI-E.

So, do I go for a Winchester 3000+ now, or is there anything on the horizon thats worth waiting for?

Also, were I to go for the upgrade now, the motherboard I've so far decided to be the most appropriate is the Abit AV8-Pro 3rd Eye. Does anyone have any comment on this choice? Any other recommendations/known problems?

2. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

iv built several PCs with that mobo and is a very good choice, what kind of ram have u got, as this is a key factor

3. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

512MB Corsair PC2700 - bloody solid Ram. Might look into getting an upgrade to that, but that wouldn't be for a while (Ram prices seem really high ATM (to me anyway!)). I'm hoping this won't throttle the processor too much.

4. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Personally, i'd go for an MSI K8N Neo 2, awsome boards. best overclockers round. I'd get some faster RAM though, if you wanna push that Winchester i'd go for some solid PC3200+, BH5 etc. and push it 200+ FSB.

5. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

I'm not too worried about Extreme overclocking, more just the increase in speed the upgrade brings, plus some mild overclocking. Would want to get some decent ram as you suggest though eventually (by decent, I mean more up to date, because this corsairs been solid as a rock).