1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling first water cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zer0_c00l, 6 Jan 2005.

1. zer0_c00l

zer0_c00l What's a Dremel?

i want to start using a water cooling system for my p4 prescott chip is the any brands to look for any to stay away from (i live in new zealand) and does colouring the water effect the efficiency of the water block(i think there called) and are they loud

2. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

There arent many companies to stay away from just stockist, first off the colouring wont have any effect on the performance however you might want to add some sort of additive to the water in order to break down the surface tension which can have a slight effect the additive will also prevent algae from forming in your water which isnt good!!

If you have lots of money to play with you might even consider fluorinert as your coolent the prices are high but I heard you can pick up re-claimed fluorinert at something like $10 per pound which is great since its effectively 98% the same stuff. This is the stuff they use in the cray I believe and was designed esp for the task the lower SHC of the stuff is less than water so it can't "hold" as much heat but by that same token the heat it can hold is lost much quicker. If you want the specs PM me I have them somewhere.

As for loudness water cooling isnt totally silent but its a hell of a lot better than what your using now, the only real noise makers in the system are the pump and the fans on the radiator and the latter are pretty silent because 120mm fans are used instead of 80mm as such they can push the same amount of air at a lower revolution rate hence they're quieter

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Generally stay away from anything that comes in a pre-made kit, unless its from D-Tek or Asetech.

No colouring the water wont effect the efficiency to any noticeable degree.

How loud the system is depends on what type of fan you have on the radiator, and how cool you want the system to be. ie a highly OCd system would need more/better cooling and so will need a more efficent/larger radiator with better (maybe) louder fans.

4. GunDam

GunDam Minimodder

Dont forget the pump :thumb:

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

:duh: I always forget the pump, I have a Zalman reserator so never see the thing tho...

Just stick it on some nice rubber mounts and almost all pumps are close to silent really.

6. zer0_c00l

thanks so the water colouring nothing speacial usless i go for the good stuff and
    nosie isn't big how hard are they to set up and is it better to by a kit or by it bit by bit

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Are you going full-on (expensive) watercooled or just having a go to see what all the fuss is about?

Big/Small budget?

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I just managed to pick a Maxxxpert kit up for £45. It has an L20 pump, 120mm Papst fan, acrylic reservoir, 120mm radiator, 10mmOD tubing, with all the connectors and hose cutters, and a decent CPU block. Obviously £45 was a sale price, but I thoroughly recommend it as a first step into watercooling. Shame I can't use it for months :(

<A88>

9. zer0_c00l

a good one but not very expensive i am in aus so i dont know how much a pound is but i a look at about $120-$150 aussie dollars if that helps

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The new thermaltake bigwater isn't bad from what I've heard.

11. GunDam

GunDam Minimodder

Well .... you'll need to decide on what you want to watercool, CPU? Chipset? GPU? HDD? Voltage regulators? PSU? etc

Are you a confident modder and welling to spend alot of reading and reseaching (learning how to make a loop, learning all about barbs, learning all about water flow and additives, learning all about tube size, blah blah blah )? If so you would get the best performance out of picking you own bits yourself.

Otherwise ya better off going for a kit with simple (well relatively simple) ikea type instructions, where everything have planed and packaged for you to follow with minimal modding required, ie Zalman.

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

look whats available to you in Aus then work it from there as it should give an indication as to how much its going to cost. People here could recommend all sorts of kit but if its not easily available and you have to import then your budgets gone already.

As Gundam said you need to have a clear idea of what you want to cool (CPU, GPU etc) and why you want to water cool it. OC, silence or because you can? :D

13. zer0_c00l

cool thanks i just wanted some ideas so shop aroud i bit thankx

14. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

i to am looking to have ago at water cooling aswell. im planning on using it on my 2nd pc to start with, untill i get abit more experienced.

so im looking for a entry level set, ive seen this set for £69.33 from overclockers.co.uk. is that a good deal? im looking at a maximum budget of around £80, any suggest.

ive decided to keep my larger case (a Chieftec full tower) so i have plenty of room in there...

15. Hobnob

Hobnob What's a Dremel?

Why do it on your second PC? You'll benifit alot more going the extra mile for Danger Den blocks and water cooling your 1st PC. Do everything properly and you'll have no problems at all, i don't think you can call it 'experience', more background knowledge and research.
    As for the other person, keep away from Thermaltake water cooling solutions, like I say, Danger Den blocks, Eheim/ Hydor pump and a BIX radiator and you're geared for some nice OCage :D

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

AngelOfRage

That looks like quite a nice buy for the price. :) Although thats an entry level kit it gives you a lot of flexibility as the majority of european kit also uses 10mm tubing. When you have more money and confidence you can replace the CPU block with one from a range of companies as well as adding GPU blocks etc. Push fits are also an added bonus!

If you have more questions then i would suggest starting a new thread instead of taking over this one. :thumb:

17. pre

pre Minimodder

Hey Atomic any chance you could look at your reserator for me and tell me how the tubing connects to it? If its barbs whats the thread on them? Cheers.

Tags: