1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding bonding lexan?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by I'm_Not_A_Monster, 10 Jan 2005.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

what is the strongest stuff to use for bonding polycarbonate/lexan chemically? i don't want to use screws.

i got a project in the back of my head (where all 463,753 ideas for projects i've got are) it involves a ps2, lexan, and a lcd

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Superglue? Try a bit if you have spare and see if it bubbles, it shouldnt. Stuck my plexi case with superglue, cant get the ****ing thing apart now :grr:

3. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Weld-On 4, made specifically for plexi. You are gluing plexi to plexi...right?

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

may want to do a search as im sure its been posted by linear before with what he used in alot of his clear cases...

5. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Polycarbonate is NOT plexi.

6. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i did search, couldn't find anything

and i do plan on gluing lexan to lexan, but there may be some aluminum to lexan, and some Al to Al

7. Eninroth

Eninroth What's a Dremel?

Id try urathane or however oits spelt its pronounce YouraThain i think t should work But use a test piece

I AM NOT RESPONSABLE IF THE URATHANE CAUSES PROBLEMS OR SOMETHING GOES WRONG

8. I'm_Not_A_Monster

that inspires confidence. :)

"urethane"

do you mean use urethane instead of lexan or use urethane glue? i googled urethane and can only find polyurethane and urethane foam, and no glues

9. Eninroth

im not sure how its spelt but its a chemicle glue its kinda yellowish i believe my dad uses it to glue pritty much everything in the garage so i know it works well.... just be careful

10. Eninroth

just so you know theres multiple products for urethane theres rethane foam and stuff

11. I'm_Not_A_Monster

does it come in two parts that you mix then slather on the object? urethane epoxy kinda sounds familiar

12. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

I DO NOT recommend super glue. It's fumes can actually eat away the surface of most plastic sheets.

Weld-on Acrylic solvent works with Acrylic, Polycarbonate, and ABS. Itsets in under a minute and after 24 hours the parts are pemanently fused. It comes in two consistencies. One is a little syrupy and is meant to be more pliable. I prefer the watery stuff since it's fast acting and you can seep it into crevaces instead of having to apply it to the edges in advance.
    Any plastics shop near you should have it in stock. I bought a 1 pint tin of it for $20. They recommend using a pipette, but I find that cheap small paintbrushes are easier.

Check your local phonebook for plastics shops, or you can order some from US plastics online. Here

Keep your fingers out of the way when using it. It won't stick your fingers to anything, but if you get it under your fingers you'll melt a fingerprint onto the sheet.
    I've been using it for a few months and have successfully made whole assemblies out of plastic. It's especially useful in my current project.
    [​IMG]
    It's even powerful enough to fuse sheets at their edges.
    [​IMG]

As for gluing lexan to aluminum I recommend liquid nails. It's kind of an ugly glue but it's only thing I've seen work.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2005
  13. Tos

Tos What's a Dremel?

I think formaldehyde is a good way to bond polycarbonate sheetsz together, just stick the 2 sheets the way you want, a few drops of formaldehyde on the joint, let it rest for an hour or so and you'll have a perfect bond, without stains/defects

14. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Where did you hear that? I've heard acetone can be used as a solvent, but I've never heard anything about formaldehyde.

15. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

acetone = very bad for plastics :waah:

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is go to your local Hardware store (I've got Home Depot, Lowe's etc) and ask their employees in that area. Granted some read the back of the label, others can be very useful, like for my G5 I was told to use ElectroSol (think that's the name) Degreaser for electrical components and pcs :rock: never even heard of it before the guy at lowe's suggested it and it works sweet

16. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Loctite should have adhesives to bond any combination of those things together, epoxies that is. Solvent is the best for plastic to plastic, but for plastic to metal you must have an adhesive that specifically states it can bond to that plastic and metal. Most epoxies don't stick to plexiglass worth a damn, it's probably similar with polycarbonate.

17. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

There is a thing that seems to improve superglue for plastic-plastic bonding, some kind of alcohol, IIRC, I'll come back later with some more information.

- H.

18. Angelic_Anguish

Angelic_Anguish What's a Dremel?

I always heard that Chloroform can be used to weld Polycarbonate seamlessly.

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

It can also be used to lessen the prices when negotiating with walking entertainment. It also makes patronizing it easier. Just kidding :hehe:

20. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Eclectic's GOOP adhesives will also stick well to anything, including plexiglass and polycarbonate. However it's a more flexible adhesive primarily for repair and sealing. It would be fine for say, a fan duct, but don't think of using it on anythign structural like a case. E6000 is a similar formula.