1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 7 Segment Problem

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dirtbiker, 11 Jan 2005.

1. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

Righty, doing my AS-level project at the moment and i've come up against this.

I'm looking to input a 4bit binary code using four two pole switches and i'd like to display this number in decimal on two seven segment displays.

I know how to wire a decoder and display so thats not an issue but the problem is that my binary word can go up to 15 and a single display can only do 9.

Obviously i could connect the logic gates so that the tens display shows a one when the input is 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 but this would involve using a 5 input OR-gate and a load of AND-gates, which i'd like to avoid if possible.

Any thoughts welcome!

Last edited: 11 Jan 2005
  2. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

7 seg display can also do A,B,C,D,E,F as well as 0-9.

3. dirtbiker

Yeah, and a load of lowercase letters. Not particularly useful in this situation though! :)

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

not if u make each 7-seg one nibble like you normally would by putting it in HEX.

5. Megavolt

Megavolt What's a Dremel?

A quick scan thru my chip books found TTL 7447 but the A-F characters are weird and the CMOS 4511 only decodes 0-9. There are hex displays (TIL311) that decode and display all 16 digits but "7 Segment Problem" is the title. I will look through a few more books and catalogs to see if there is a one chip solution to display HEX on one digit. 123456789AbCdEF is the way I would display it.

6. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 12 Jan 2005
  7. Megavolt

That PPROM (read article) is worse than his present solution. Another solution is to use a 8bit wide programmable memory. The smallest I could find was 32*8bits (74s188, 74s288). With 8 bit output you can drive the 7 segments and the DP. Either throw away (not use) the extra memory or use it as selectable character sets (fonts). The only problem is finding a programmer, but being in an AS course the school may have one somewhere.

8. dirtbiker

The problem is that my sylabus only covers the use of basic seven segment displays and decoders, and of course logic gates.

Will ask the head of department next week and post back with what he suggests .

Thanks for the help guys :hip:

9. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Feed the nibble through a 4-bit adder, with the second set of inputs set to 0000 when between 0-9. Then, use a comparator or 1337 logic to detect when above 9, which sets the adder input to subtract 10, and lights up the tens display to show a '1'. The adder output then drives the units 7-segment decoder. Cant remember offhand if you can do subtraction (may depend on which series you use) if not just add enough that it rolls over.

10. Megavolt

Great idea! :idea: It fulfils the original requirement "i'd like to display this number in decimal on two seven segment displays." and is more elegant than a bunch of simple gates. I don't know how we got sidetracked on one Hex digit.

BjD - I am old so what is "1337 logic"?

11. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

4028 can use common anode and common cathode 7 segment displays, better than 4511. ;)

12. Megavolt

4028 is a 1 of 10 decoder. The 4511 is for common cathode and the 4543 can be used for either common anode or common cathode 7 segments. Also dirtbiker has not stated which family of logic he is using.

13. dirtbiker

Not entirely sure what you mean by "family of logic" but its just a four bit binary word. :)

Our electronics dept. only has 7-segment displays that deal with binary, but i could probably order some that deal with hex, although i'd like to keep it in binary if possible!

Finally, i dont understand what's meant by "nibble"?

Cheers guys.

14. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Family of logic refers to the type of chips you're using, 74 series is TTL, 4000 series is CMOS, etc.

A nibble is half a byte (geddit? :) ), aka 4-bits

And by 1337 logic i was refering to the whole hacker speak thing. Just me trying to be funny :sigh:

15. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Megavolt, you're right, my memory is failing, I wanted to say that one, sorry. :duh:

16. Megavolt

You say "Our electronics dept. only has 7-segment displays that deal with binary". Do you mean that each of the seven segments has its own pin?

Skylined - No harm, I just did not want to sidetrack dirtbiker again. Like with the whole single digit HEX display thing.

17. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

No worries Megavolt, everything is ok. ;)