1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer: Wont Install windows Xp. Freezes.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pbaquicky, 17 Jan 2005.

1. pbaquicky

pbaquicky What's a Dremel?

Hi all, got a new computer for my briefcase project. Here are the specs:

Chaintech 7nil1 MOBO
    AMD XP-M 2400+
    512 MB Kingston Hyper-x memory
    120 GB hard drive
    ATI 9600XT 256MB

Heres my problem. Before mounting the computer in the case, i figured, why not test it out. I put everything together, boots up prefectly. GREAT! So i insert the windows XP CD. It is original, and mine, no scratches. It gets through the formatting, and when it finally goes to the windows xp screen where it says "windows is installing"
    "time remaining - 29 minutes" It freezes. Tried slow format, fast format. I dont know what else to do. Is it a hard drive problem? :wallbash:

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Try running memtest, might highlight any problems with your system...

3. pbaquicky

what is memtest? Where do i get it, how do i install it w/o having a operating system, etc.

4. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

http://www.memtest86.com/

It runs off of a floppy as far as I understand and means that you don't need an OS or anything to run it.

5. pbaquicky

I dont have a single floppy drive in my whole house.

6. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Mine did this, tried more or less all different components, still didnt want to, so i installed W2K and it worked perfectly.

7. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

"New computer: Wont install windows Xp. Freezes."

It's a sign.

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Its a problem that crops up from time to time, and the majority of the time its down to the RAM.
    Do you have 2x256MB of RAM, if so try them in different slots, or try just one stick to get windows to install, if that fails try another stick.

The strange thing you will probably find is that after installing windows the RAM will function perfectly, so if you get it to install you should be able to run with both sticks without fault...

PS You can download memtest86 as a bootable CD..

9. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

yeah, they are finally building intelligent computers ...

10. kobaj

kobaj Banned

my computer did the same thing except it was with windows 98, I think it is a hard drive problem. So I just said **** it and left. The comp only cost me 12 bucks, so no skin off my back. Well maybe a little.

11. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

:hehe:

12. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Mem86

Do ypou have another computer or have any friend that can help you out?

If so the memtest program can be created as an ISO image on a cd-rom.

If your friends also have computers with compatible hardware it could be a long night of trial and error. :wallbash:

13. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Had a problem like this in a shop once....It ended up being that the lan connection was causing an issue during the install, just had to unplug the cable and all was fine...

Also I take it youve takin out everything but the bare components needed to boot and run the install disc?

14. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

How on earth does this help him out?? :duh:

Anyway, this happened to me..had me stumped for about a week (actually stumped me twice, with two different computers. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well...:blush: ) You've got 99% of a chance of it being a RAM issue. Play with what banks they're in, try one stick at a time (if it's two sticks), mess with timings...Basically
    sum's it up just right. Takes a lot of fooling with setups and timings, and eventually you'll get it.

15. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Been there done that. Fortinately Corsair has an excillent rma policy, so I was back up and running in no time at all :thumb:

If you're too lazy/can't run memtest, just set all ram settings as low as they can go then try (though I really do reccomend memtest86, tis an awesome proggie). ;)

16. pbaquicky

Hmm...the memory. I Took the memory out of my gaming pc where it worked fine. I have not tried different slots, but this will be my next attempt. If not, its been about a month and a half since i bought the HDD and i doubt their is a warrenty. :confused:

17. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Most hardware has atleast a one year waranty, and if its a good HDD the waranty could be 3 to 5 years.

18. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Maxtor and WD have screwey waranty periods, make sure you check. Some are 1 year from mfg date, which can be way before you ever purchace the product. It's total BS, but they get away with it.

[offtopic]I have heard that if you buy something with a visa and it dies before a year has passed that you can get visa to go after them, is this true?[/offtopic]

19. pbaquicky

WOW!

Tried switching the memory slot. Didnt work. Im getting soo FRUSTRATED!! WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE!!!