1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amd and ddr2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gajdycz, 22 Jan 2005.

1. Gajdycz

Gajdycz Banned

when, if ever will it happen?

2. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

2006. At the moment there is no point in AMD going to DDR2 infact their isnt much reason for anyone at the moment. DDR-2 at current speeds has much higher latency than DDR and so performs worce

3. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

4. DaKind420

DaKind420 What's a Dremel?

It may perform the same but it's still much more expensive than DDR is. Cost / Performance isn't nearly as good as DDR. If you have an AMD system you'll be good to go with DDR for atleast another year or two.

5. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the only real point to go DDR2 is if you want a 1066MHz FSB, but that doesn't even bring a performance increase anyway.

6. Gajdycz

Gajdycz Banned

the only reason im asking is becasue im going pic express bout xmas time, so i just wan to know if i should throw in ddr2 in

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

a lot is going to happen between now and Christmas time - I would hope so anyway, otherwise I will be out of a job! :duh:

8. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

OK...wait...am I missing something? Wasn't Christmas like, a little less than a month ago? Or are we already talking about Christmas 2005...?

9. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Yes, you know how people like to plan for christmas waaaaaay in advance, and I thought October was bad :D

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I thought december 23rd was bad!

It'll be a while in any case, and as A64's have the memory controller built into the CPU you would need to replace both that and the mobo in order to use it when it is available. A very early release of DDR2-750 is in testing right now (only works on one mobo) and considering the added latencies it won't be a worthwhile move for amd until we hit DDR2-800 to -1000

But nobody really knows, as bigz pointed out a lot happens in a year with technology. I wouldn't plan on including it at this point though.