1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Why are modding tools so expensive?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by robbins1940, 24 Jan 2005.

1. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

Why are modding tools so expensive? A 114mm holesaw costs over £15 plus vat. The arbor for the holesaw is another £10. A bloody 4mm drill bit another £10 near enought damnit. And the dremel a bloody best part of £50.

Worked out in order to mod my new YY cube case its going to cost me near to if not over £100.00. I suppose I could sell it all on afterwards on Ebay but I never get anything near what I paid for it in the first place.

Rant over, sorry.

David

2. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

£10 for a 4mm bit? What kind of bit are we talking about, diamond coated, military rated ...?

Don't sell your tools, keep modding. After doing 1000 holes the cost of the saw is just pennies per hole. It's like buying a car, you don't apply the full purchase price to the first kilometer and whine about "£30000 for driving a single kilometer". You just keep driving and after the first million kilometers the cost is down to pennies so everybody is happy.

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Thats a pretty good analogy! :thumb: Why dont you "borrow" some of your dads tools hell I know thats what I and alot of others here do! But yeah £10 for a drill bit is steep!!!! Holesaws are expensive in general, if you want good, clean, circle cuts they're best way to do if for the average joe.

4. OmegaX

OmegaX What's a Dremel?

i find you get whatr you pay for. you caould buy a cheap hole sawe and maybe drill 1 hole or buy a good one and drill many. My dads a mechanic too so that may have some influence you know if u have to borrow a tool twice you should own it. I've been spoiled with using snap-on tools they work so much better than cheap brands

5. pumagt500

pumagt500 What's a Dremel?

Hmm yea im loaded with tools lmao. My dads dad was a tool maker so when he passed in the will it stated my dad gets all of his tools. ALOT OF TOOLS. So I get to use and have the tools since my dad is a tool designer and has kess use or them as I do. Every drill bit that has ever existed I got at my fingertips along with other metal working tools n stuff. Maybe one day Ill take some pics of it all but it takes up half of our basement and half of our garage.

6. PilchY

PilchY Minimodder

sounds like a modder's tool heaven!

7. phantomxc

phantomxc What's a Dremel?

Ive got a lawn mower? :waah:

8. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

lol phantomx

you should come to the US, we have giant stores like home depot where i can buy a full drill bit set for $15 and a dremel set (with imitation and all the goodies) for $35.

9. phantomxc

phantomxc What's a Dremel?

i live half a mile away from home depot ....doesn't mean im not poor :p :nono:

10. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

My Dad has no tools apart from a box of screws, a hammer, a screwdriver and a drill with no dril bits.

David

11. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Words from the wise toolman

When you're young : Tools are your friends buy good tools, cherish them and they'll serve you all your life.
    When you're older : If you leave your wife let her keep the car and save the tools :hehe: :thumb:

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

forget home deopt, it's all about costco for cheap tools :thumb: Wal mart too lol. #2 phillips and flathead screwdriver pair for $1. $1.88 for 20 of those small hex drill bits that go in interchangable screwdrivers. $10 for a set of three different tin snips! I just set up a pegboard thing behind my workbench and stocked half of it with walmart tools for like $25. Even a decent overhead 2x 4' fluorescent light socket thing for $15. I think the pegboard cost almost as much as the tools ($5 per 2'x4' sheet, four sheets @ H.D.)

Although in my experience the best dremel accessory kits are at home depot. For like $25 I got some 150-piece thing that included a hole cutting attachment (any size hole from 3/4" to 14" or something), quite a few reinforced cutoff blades (the big black ones) and polishing compound, not to mention half the bits that exist.

A good drill will only run you $25-30, and you can get a set of decent bits for cheap(ish).

The expensive tools are the really specialized ones or bigass things that you wouldn't use for modding, like huge ratchet sets and table saws.

13. purepope

purepope Banned

i dont have ne one to borrow tools from. u may say just borrow from ur dad then i say "dad what dad!" the dad that has a.d.d and skitzo that i never met or that dad iv know for 9 of my 15 years that doesnt own an eletric tool.

14. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

if you want to be extremely ghetto get your tools from walmart use them and when youre done jsut return them. they have a no questions asked return policy.
    my friiends and i combined bought 1100 bucks worht of xbox stuff for beach week. and on the way home returned every bit of it.

i have also done it with a drill bit set ( damn english and metric scales :miffed: )

15. pumagt500

pumagt500 What's a Dremel?

Harbor Freight :rock:

16. The Gut

The Gut The Gut

:waah:

17. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Come on drills bits> I weep for people like you as well damn i dont know.

18. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

19. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

That site is no good. They don't sell a 114mm hole saw and I only want 1 4mm drill bit not 10.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

David

20. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

They do single drill bits , I pop into their store in bristol as its just down the road from me.

Holesaw aye they dont seem to carry one in that size :(