1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Help with raid 0 XP install

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fry, 30 Jan 2005.

1. Fry

Fry What's a Dremel?

I just purchased a second 36GB raptor and have attempted to make a raid0 array. I thought it was going along fine, but WinXP says it does not see any harddrives in the install. :grr: I used the ASUS raid install files when attempting to install. I have a P5GD2 Deluxe and am trying to use the integrated SATA Raid. What am I doing wrong? I am new at raid this is my first attempt, please help.

2. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

have you made it all the way through winXP install? I forgot to read the directions when i went to RAID0 on my HTPC...oops! If you can't get winXP to install, make sure you copy the drivers to a floppy disc. If you've already got a separate drive with winXP on it, make sure you go into the RAID setup just after POST but before win starts. If there's anything you want to salvge on that original drive, make sure you get it before building the array--i.e. everything on it gets paved under when the RAID sectors get written.

hth!

p.s. make sure you have the boot sequence set up correctly in your BIOS as well. double check the manual for specifics on drive numbers/order.

3. Fry

Fry What's a Dremel?

It won't make it to the part where it asks what partition to set it up to. It says that it detects no harddrives installed on my computer.

*edit* may have found problem

4. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Well, first off: Is there a particular reason you're using a Raid0? If it's for performance, you won't see much of an increase at all. I can fully recommend, having tried both, that you don't RAID them and use each drive seperately.

Course, you can always use a RAID1 array for security, as it is basically a constant backup. Unless you want the added security, I would recommend not RAIDing.

5. Fry

Fry What's a Dremel?

From what I've heard raid 0 will increase performance, depending on the system setup. I have no need really for raid 1. I have seen benchmark scores and two raptors on raid 0 almost double transfer rate. I have a computer fast enough to utilize the speed increase of raid 0. I am running a P4 530 3.0ghz with DDR2 533 and two SATA 36.7GB raptors. I also am going to overclock it once i buy some cooling supplies. It was a stupid mistake I made, i was using the wrong drivers. I didnt notice it keep saying IDE RAID drivers on the WinXP driver setup, also if I dont notice much difference in transfer rate I will most likely change it back to just regular drives. I would rather have regular drives than raid 1 because even though its added security i would rather have the full 70GB of the regular drives. 36GB just gets filled up too fast.

-Fry

6. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

With Raid 0 there is the transfer rate increase. However there is a hit on the seek time. And as most accesses are random you will not notice a difference. This is speaking from experience btw.

7. Fry

Fry What's a Dremel?

I know all of what you say is probably true, but I like to test things out myself and if I dont like it I change it back.

*edit* its not like I have anything to lose, I already formatted.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2005
  8. gamesaregood

gamesaregood Minimodder

Hello,

Another problem with raid is that its not as easy to change motherboards if needed. This is because the raid would need to be rebuilt and the data could get lost. I have this problem now. I have 2x 160gig SATA maxtors which are in my AN7 but i would like to upgrade to athlon 64 which means formating both drives which is not fun!

Michael

9. Fry

Fry What's a Dremel?

Well its finished. I do notice an increase in transfer rate, and I noticed it before WinXP was even finished installing. It took about 2/3 the time it usually does to install. Also I dont really care if data is lost, Im not running a server or have anything that is not replaceable. I am also not going to replace motherboards for a while, I got this computer a month ago. Thanks everyone for your help/opinions.

-Fry

Tags: