1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Phantom Project

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CREDO, 1 Oct 2004.

1. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

It's pretty much finished now, I had to make allot of compromises over things I wanted to do to the case.
    Just a lesson for next time, plan it all out before starting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

funky colours :hip:

3. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

It turned out great. Nice touch with that little window on the back panel. I don't know about planning your case mod too far, from the logs I've read even the guys that plan their mod down to the last detail...end up making compromises as they build. Great job for a DAYG (Design As You Go).

4. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

Hah, that window in the back was a cover up, one of the serial port cover things fell off while I was dremeling and I just ended up saying "screw it" and cut the whole plate out.

Here it is, all wrapped up and ready to go,We have to wait 2 weeks before we can give it to him. If were lucky we will get a short vid of him unwrapping it,(then calling the ambulance cause he's collapesed of a heart attack)
    [​IMG]

5. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Looks really sweet, I like how it turned out. Nice Job! :thumb:

6. greywolf

See how it all works out, I'm admiring something you never intended to do!

And you got it done TWO weeks before the deadline...I'm working on my second month after missing my deadline!! Great job! Awesome present!

7. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Wow... That turned out great. The purple looks far better than I would have thought it would be. Does your dad know he's getting this?

8. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

Its actually my father in law, he has no frigging idea that hes getting a new comp, its his 54th birthday so its nothing special really, he wont be expecting anything big.
    Funny thing was, a few weeks ago he was bitching about his slow old piece of **** and quizzing me for prices on a new one. Of course I had all the prices off the top of my head and so he was hell bent on buying one. the mother in law had to cool him off the idea. he he.
    I think the total cost of it including all bolts, rubber striping, LED's, perspex etc was close to $1500 AUD
    We have even bought a Thermaltake lighted mouse pad as a dummy present. So he will get that, and think thats it. Then I will go to the car and bring out the real present.
    Hes really going to flip out.
    One thing that is really anoying me though is that its running better than mine.. *******.
    Going to reinstall mine tomorrow. its overdue.

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

LOL. That's always the way isn't it. You pour your heart and soul into a gift for someone else then at the end take a look at yours and go :sigh: "I wish I was keeping that one"

I'm currently building a case for my brothers Christmas pressie and (when this friggen rain stops and I can paint it) it will look waaaaaay better than my 'stock as' case. :waah:

10. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

looks great. but, what happened to the plans of making the window look like the "good ring"? and are there any other similarities to the phantom, than the color? :rolleyes:

11. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

That is what I was saying before about planning, I was going to have the belt buckle on the top of the case but once I actually measured it up the damn thing wouldn't fit around the 80mm blowhole, if I had of measured before i started i would have left out the blowhole. it was too late by the time i wanted to start it.
    I wanted to have a striped mirror in the bottom of the case but that idea went down the drain when i tried to fit a sized piece of perspex in there to test, it should have gone in the case right from the start.

The problem was, was the wife and i were fighting allot over little things along the way, she had allot of input over the whole thing.
    I kept arguing over and over that all we had at the moment, was a purple case with a sticker on the side.

For the record, i was not happy with the finished case. Its not phantom enough. Sorry, I have failed the phantom fans out there.

12. Goth

Goth What's a Dremel?

Nice keep it on, mate

13. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

hehe you should be happy about it :) it looks great :) and it's at least a step in the right direction, right? :thumb: nice work :dremel:

14. greywolf

Look at this way. If you built the perfect case, why would you ever build another one? I'd rather like the process more than the results, it's the journey that's important not necessarily the destination. Next case you'll do more planning, make fewer mistakes and hopefully will never be completely satisfied with the results. :)

What you created this time looks awesome, can't wait to see your next mod!

15. JungleGorilla

JungleGorilla What's a Dremel?

That's a pimpin' case there. A few more Phantom references would've been nice but "hey" you can't please everyone. :dremel:

16. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the support guys.
    well I might have mentioned that my wife is about to pop out a young'n very soon, and if your an Aussie you would know that when you have a kid now you get $3000 from the government as a "baby bonus".

Theres some decent modding funds right there. I hope to rebuild my comp in a new case. No full ideas yet but the opportunity is there. And with no deadline or confliting views on it, i should be able to do whatever I want and have the time to do it.

17. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

Sorry it took so long but I finally got a finished shot in its new home.
    [​IMG]

18. Dakal

Dakal What's a Dremel?

WoW CREDO you did a great job on this mod!

I have one question though, after the powder coating process, did you have any trouble fitting the PSU into the chasis? I'm moding a Centurion 2 and I'm worried that if I get my chasis powder coated a PSU wont fit in.

19. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

Ahh yeah, she was a tight fit alright.
    It did actually scrap the sides a little getting it in.
    You might want to consider some kind of lubicant to make it slide it a bit easier.. i aint kidding.