1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Creative Inspire 5.1 5100 Surround Speakers on a TV/console?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reddragon105, 31 Jan 2005.

1. reddragon105

reddragon105 What's a Dremel?

I've got a set of Creative Inspire 5.1 5100 Surround Speakers going spare. As i'm quite happy with the speakers on my PC i dont really have any use for them.

I know they're designed for a PC, but is there any way of using them on a TV or a games console? I would like to use them on my PS2, but all i have is a pair of stereo connections (the standard red and white/right and left audio connectors). I know you can get an optical cable for the PS2s audio, but there is no optical connection on the Creative 5100 system. So how would i connect my PS2 to these PC speakers?

If there is no way, they're going to end up in the for sale section on here, or ebay :waah:

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

New sound card with optical in. (ps2 solution)

not sure bout the TV bit.

3. pumagt500

pumagt500 What's a Dremel?

Wait do you mean it has 2 RCA connectors on for right another for left? It usally will hook up just like that right to red left to white.

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

There's a breakout Adapter which sits in between your Scart lead and the Playstation. you can then plug in your RCA lead.

5. reddragon105

reddragon105 What's a Dremel?

yeh i've already got the red and white connectors, all PS2s have those, they're usually plugged into a scart adapter to go into the back of the TV, but you can pull them out, leaving just the yellow cable (video) going through the scart block into the TV, and put the audio cables into a hi-fi or something instead

but the thing here is - those are just left and right audio, ie stereo. i cant get 5.1 surround sound from those. to get surround sound out of a PS2 you need to use an optical cable. but an optical cable wont plug into these speakers

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

You need an amp that will decode DD, has an optical input, and can output to 3x 3.5mm jacks somehow.

7. dom_

dom_ --->

as said, you need a decoder of somesort. Either buy an 5.1 amp and get phono to 3.5mm leads, or use a pc soundcard with digital in.