1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A+ Certification books...

Discussion in 'General' started by phoeneous, 3 Feb 2005.

1. phoeneous

phoeneous What's a Dremel?

I plan on taking the A+ exam in the next few months. I have been to so many bookstores, read so many reviews and I still cant decide which one to get. I have narrowed it down to three choices. All comments, suggestions and recommendations are recommended.

1. A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide by Michael Meyers, Scott Jernigan.

2. A+ Certification Passport by Mike Meyers, Tracey Rosenblath, Michael Meyers.

3. A+ Training Guide, Fifth Edition by Charles J. Brooks.

I have 10+ years experience with repairing pc's however, I want to reassure my knowledge. Price isn't an option, Im looking for the best.

2. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

I hope that you were joking....because if you werent and you crap/spam on another thread youll need to find a new forum to troll in....

To be honest theres probably not a whole lot of difference between the books...Just make sure you get the most up to date edition as they redid the test a few years ago and some of the books Ive seen in books stores are for the old version.

I personally always liked the ones that came with a practice test..The thing that always killed me was the history side of it...

3. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

I was considering getting myself the A+ certification, just as something to stick on my CV; I never got around to it unfortunately.

I wonder if a book would have enough to learn from to finish the test, I've seen courses that go for €1000+

4. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Links are being funny for me...

However, I've been toying with the idea of getting an A+ certification for awhile now, just because it's (afaik) the basic, required cert if you want to do anything IT based. Everything I've found is $800+ though, and that's way too crazy-high for me..I'm looking for something around the $200 mark, if even.

5. Liquid K9

Thats assuming that everything in IT is hardware which is completely inaccurate; as a software programmer, I have no "requirement" for an A+ certification. Though, personally I want to expand my horizons

6. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

I take it you mean $800+ for a class....The test by itself is $200+

Also A+ has a hardware and a software test so its not just hardware...

All a certification is just a peice of paper that tells people you knew enough about a certain subject to pass an acredited,sp on that, test...

7. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Yes, sorry. Meant $800 for a class, didn't know it was that much just to take the test :eeek:.

Course, I'd like to learn the software side of things too...:worried:

So much to learn, so little time :hehe:

8. Liquid K9

true, but that does not mean that without it, any person who wishes to persue a career in the IT industry would be "helpless"

9. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Very true...Ive meet alot of A+ certified people who I wouldnt let use my mouse let alone repair a pc...I belive some highschools are even teaching it now here in the states...

10. phoeneous

Now suggestions on a book?

11. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

sorry...touch off topic i guess....Ive only actually read the first one and it was decent...came with a practice test disc when i bought it at the book store..

12. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Without wanting to sound totally clueless (I should give up now), but what is A+ ceritfication?

13. phoeneous

CompTIA’s A+ certification is meant for entry-level computer technicians. The A+ certification is a vendor-neutral certification that was introduced in 1993 and is now held by over 500,000 people. It has no prerequisites but is widely used as a starting point for various system administration and network administration certifications. For example, the A+ certification, coupled with either the CompTIA Network+ or Server+ certification, can be used as an elective for Microsoft’s MCSA certification.

http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/comptia/a-2003.asp

14. Athlon3400

Athlon3400 What's a Dremel?

I used comp tia's books and they were great, but they all are pretty much the same

15. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

i use the A+ cert. bible, has everything in it and comes with a cdrom version of the book so you always have a resource on your computer if u need it.

16. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

... which is funded my Microsoft and used to push Microsoft products.

17. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

The Michael Meyers book is supposed to be excellent. I know a few people who've used it to sucessfully pass the exam and I have a copy myself as work want me to do it.

The reviews of it on Amazon should give some indication to its worth. ;)