1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding where to buy smoke to see air flow in case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by raaaaaa, 8 Feb 2005.

1. raaaaaa

raaaaaa What's a Dremel?

I know it sound a little wierd, but there is some special smoke that you use to test your air flow in your xase. it is the same type of smoke that bee keepers use.
    basicly you put the smoke in front of the case fans that blow air in your case and watch the smoke through the window to see how it acts in your case, which helps you determan how to place case fans and how many etc......

any one with a clue?

2. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

I've never heard of that before but it'd be pretty cool especially if didn't carry any risk. Isn't all smoke made up of what's basically very small pieces of ash (a.k.a. dust) some of which you'd think'd be deposited in the case...

3. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Bee Keeper Smoke - not sure if youll be able to buy it from there but gives you an idea on what to search for...google is very helpful

4. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

lol smoke a cigarette

heres an idea, if you were to take some dry ice and then put it in a cup of water doesnt it start to smoke? put it in front of the fans and wait for them to suck it up, dunno if that would work

5. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

I believe that would work. Some home-built wind tubes call for dry ice for their smoke.

6. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

i think someone suggested using drt ice to add fog for a mod once and it was decided it was unsafe because the mist was actually water vapour or could damage parts inside, great idea though

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I use a stick of incense. Patchouli is best. :D

8. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

Actually, that's not exactly true. Dry ice is in fact solid carbon dioxide, and does not melt, it sublimes. Thus, there is no period where there is any liquid touching any part of your PC. I find this to be the safest way to test fans, mainly because it's cheap and can't do any harm to your components. In fact, the solid is colder than ambient temperature (which is why it sublimes), and CO2 gas is heavier than air, so your only problem with this may be that the gas tends to sink to the bottom of the case *which might make for an uber-sick effect!* Hope I could be of some help!

~Jones

EDIT: Burning ANYTHING near your computer is a BAD idea. Just about anything you burn, except for a few types of fuels, will leave a residue of some sort. Incense would be horrible for your computer, so DON'T TRY IT! Just go the safe route and use dry ice.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2005
  9. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

yep, dry ice skips the liquid phase

10. Derelict

Derelict What's a Dremel?

Dry Ice all the way...

11. TranZam

TranZam What's a Dremel?

Anybody see that low budget film "landspeed"? They accuire a "sublimation" device from a government mole... use it to turn dry rocket fuel into gas fuel, skipping the liquid phase... kinda funny becasuse I guess someone should have told them that you can't pump solid fuel out of the tank, and into the sublimation device... :confused: anyways... sorry for the tangental anectdote.

-TZ

12. vetlel

vetlel What's a Dremel?

Same here, love Shanti Nag Champa though

13. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

i got a loada cubes around that you ignite and create thick black smoke, they use em in the gas/building trade to see whether chimneys/fleus work proberly to remove carbon dioxide/monoxide, but they're hardcore, i ignited one sometime and the whole house was thick black smoke, but you could break em up, quite old though, dunno where you'd get em from!

i'll keep an eye out!

14. setishock

setishock What's a Dremel?

Canned Smoke...

I used to install security and fire alarms. I used a product called Canned Smoke. It's thick white and dissapates relatively quick. Check with a local hardware store.

15. Zero_Distortion

Zero_Distortion What's a Dremel?

16. raaaaaa

raaaaaa What's a Dremel?

thanks guys i appreciate the input

17. rob_65

rob_65 What's a Dremel?

Is dry ice relatively expensive?

18. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

True dry ice sublimes. But... the gas itself is colourless. so what you are actually seeing is water droplets condensing out of the air in the cold gas.

This could cause problems.

19. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

This is one retro-disco thing, that I´ve heard.
    Heat up your frying pan, and put salmiac-flour on it. It makes a loooot of smoke.

20. Cowcharge

Cowcharge What's a Dremel?

Yuk! Patchouli smells like moldy newspapers...