1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development PHPBB/SMTP

Discussion in 'Software' started by c.cam108, 16 Feb 2005.

1. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get PHPBB to talk to an SMTP server (IIS)?

The forum is here: http://www.new-noise.org/phpBB2/index.php and I get an error when I try to do anything to do with e-mail.

Here is the error I get:

I am sure that I have the e-mail settings in the admin panel correct.

Thanks for the help.

_C

2. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

one question... why iis?

I don't really know much about it, so I can't really be of help in that aspect

3. planki

planki ...

i think you have to have an smtp client running on your pc so that phpbb will talk to that and then the smtp client will send out the emails.

when you run phpbb on linux you have to set up the location of your mail daemon typically sendmail or the likes in your php.ini file so that then phpbb calls the mail function it sends all of the information to the sendmail client when then processes it and sends it out.

4. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

@Bruno_me: I am using IIS because it comes with 2000 server, allows multiple websites and works. It worked with the asp.net forum software that I was running previously.

@Planki: IIS is the mail daemon, and I see what you are saying about setting it up in php.ini. I will search google and see if there are any tutorials for setting this up.

Thanks for the help guys.

_C

5. planki

planki ...

with regards to the php.ini file its just one line that says something like maildaemon: c:\program files\mail daemon\clickme.exe

etc that bit wont be hard to change just the setting up of the mail daemon itself.

6. mikecx

mikecx What's a Dremel?

As far as I can remember (which usually is pretty good) IIS doesn't have any sort of built in mail daemon and that is where Exchange server comes into play. There are a ton of other mail daemons for windows but really, it doesn't seem like IIS had a built in one.

7. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Thanks for the replys

I think I have found the problem though. My mail server runs without a password set at the moment. However, SQL server doesn't like empty fields in a database, so it fills them with a space, including the password field.

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but I will try to see if it is later.

(And by the way, I will put a password on it, so I don't want 20 replys saying that I need a password on my SMTP server or I will die a horrible disgusting spammy death.)

_C