1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless Networking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alextwo, 22 Feb 2005.

1. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

I'm wanting to connect 3 PCs 2 laptops and an xbox and I was wondering what the best ADSL router to get in order to have all these connected to the network and have net access. Am I right in thinking that I can connect as many computers as I want to a wireless router?

2. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Limit on wireless connections per AP is ~200 if memory serves me...which it usualy doesnt..but yes you can connect all those...

Might I suggest connecting the PCs with cat5 if their in the same room. Most likely will save you a pretty penny...

Most routers are made equally so this is jmo but Im fond of the DLink line...

3. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into buying two laptops but the only wireless laptops I can find are 802.11b are there any laptops that come with 802.11g?

4. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Netgear stuff is pretty good, and you can get USB and PCMCIA adapters for g spec. If you get the accellerated 108mbps netgear stuff for some reason the router itself is smaller than the standard one.

May i suggest that if you are using any of the PCs for gaming (and the xbox) that you connect them using cat5 as gaming isnt very good on wireless networks.

5. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

For some reason most are still stuck with the older generation B....Most laptops that come with G will be your higher end/ higher priced models...

If you do go with a usb adaptor make sure you have usb2 ports on your computer or else your pretty much wasting the extra money for the G

6. JimmytheCow

JimmytheCow What's a Dremel?

Dell there insperon series has them. you can even get A/B/G if you want :)

7. camel

camel What's a Dremel?

or of course you could just get g cards ... i would avoid USB adaptors though as iirc they put load on your cpu.

8. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

On a new pc it would hardly be noticable...

Tags: