1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless network card problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pixelcraft, 22 Feb 2005.

1. pixelcraft

pixelcraft What's a Dremel?

Ok this is driving me mad i have an amd athalon 1.21 running xp pro with service pack 2.0 the motherboard is a GA-7VAXP and for some bizzare reason wont accept a fully working belkin wireless card desktop G card - (tried in other machines works fine) I have unplugging other pci cards and tried each slot and still nothing in device manager - there is power to the card as one of the lights (yellow) is on all the time - have tried contacting Belkin India support desk for Belkin who cant help - this is a new machine... please can anyone out there help... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

pixelcraft

Last edited: 22 Feb 2005
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What does the system properties tab say is wrong with it?

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Did you install the stuff off the cd and THEN install the pci card?

If you didn't, that'll be the reason. The instructions/manual that comes with Belkin 54g cards specifically says that you have to do it this way.

4. pixelcraft

systems properties tab

Bindibadgi thanks for replying -

the only network device listed in the device manager is 1394 net adapter - the belkin card doesn't show up.

5. pixelcraft

kenco_uk

thanks for your reply - i may have done - i have uninstalled the drivers and the card and attempted to start again by installing the drivers first then the card - if I did, what is there a way of resolving this.

pixelcraft

6. Solutions

Solutions What's a Dremel?

Did you remove the card and reinstall the software? If you are overclocking make sure your PCI Bus is locked to 33MHz. If none of the above helps try RMA/return.

7. pixelcraft

what is an rma return

solutions thankyou for your response

i have reinstalled software i'm not overclocking - sorry what is an rma/ return

8. Solutions

:eyebrow: Interesting question. I guess you haven't had the "pleasure" of having to return broken components before... An RMA is a Return Merchandise Authorization. When you buy a broken....lets say a wireless card....and you simply can't get it to work, you contact the place where you bought it from (or the manufacturer...Belkin). Depending on the warranty one of these places will take your info and give you an RMA #. This number is usually written on the outside of the box you ship them (which contains your broken wireless card.) Once they fix it they mail it back to you. That whole process is referred to as "RMAing" or "returning" or "replacing", etc.

Typically takes more than a week to get your card back but that will depend on what company you are having to deal with and the details of the warranty &/or RMA Return Policy. Good luck with your wireless card man.

EDIT::: Hmmm... sry I missed the part about u already testing it in another PC! Very weird situation indeed.... You already tried all the other PCI slots... CPU is not OC'd... Are ALL of the mobo drivers installed? That's my last guess :rolleyes:

Last edited: 22 Feb 2005
  9. pixelcraft

rma

thanks but as i say have tried the card in another machine already and it works but thankyou for the message

10. pixelcraft

solutions

ok well thanks for your input - I have removed all pci cards - I think i'll reinstall xp service 2 and go through the process again - failing that -its going out the window :thumb:

11. planki

planki ...

argh i have the same motherboard as you and i absolutely hate it, its horrible no end of proper random problems but then again could just be me :worried:

12. Solutions

any chance a BIOS upgrade might fix the issue?

13. pixelcraft

bios upgrade

solutions, thanks again but thats one i've tried - i have reinstalled sp2 and now there is no power getting through to the card ie no light - i dont think its faulty pci slots but as other cards work ! - considering installing win 2k.

14. Solutions

now this just gets more and more interesting.... no light after SP2?! I wouldn't think that would affect whether or not the PCI board was receiving power. Sorry, I am outta ideas. :miffed:

15. pixelcraft

Three steps forward two steps back

dear anyone who is still following this thread with anticipation - ok so where are we - reinstalled sp2 everything fine so far - oh except the card isnt being detected and no lights appearing - so thinking laterally i selected from the control panel "add hardware" and guess what - yup sucess belkin card detected - could this be the end of my woes??? ahh no because xp has decided it doesnt like the driver location - when i get to the window asking me to insert disk there is a dialog box listing the locations as to where the system believes the driver is - i choose the latest driver and - wait for it FAIL. XP advises me that this hardware item may not have been installed corectly. Correct it still aint in the device manager.. :idea: :waah: :wallbash:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think it's your mobo. If others have had problems with it, then it doesnt look like a one off.

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

So you reinstalled xp+sp2, then installed the belkin drivers off the included cd, then switched off, inserted the belkin 54g card, switched on and followed the install instructions?

Or, when you ran the add hardware wizard, did you point it at the cd to install the drivers from there? (although this would be doing it the wrong way, it might work)

Apologies if it sounds like egg-sucking tutorials :)

In device manager, have you tried clicking 'view hidden devices' on the view tab. See if WinXP has tried to add it in any way? Another way to check any strange devices is to run device manager in safe mode. I used to get two or three instances of monitors, for example.

18. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

are u by chance using an N-force 2 mobo

if u are try uninstalling the nforce 2 drivers then trying it again

i had the exact same problem with the exact same card on my old PC and that fixed it

btw i HATE RMA's its all i do at my job is process RMA's and damn HP hold music sux (they're the worst) and brother things are crap aswell lol one out of 3 gets returned and then i'm on the phone for 20 mins on hold

ahh well enough of a rave but try the nforce 2 driver thing it worked for me

19. pixelcraft

NEWS JUST IN - PC SAVED FROM CERTAIN DEATH...

Dear all you guys and dolls out there

Ok I can hardly contain my excitement - it WORKS - only after a xp reinstall its was basically easier to just start again - i dont know what caused this and i guess we never will but just a massive thanks to everyone who contributed - i think this forum rocks I have used many in the past but this seems to be without doubt one of the best - I will be connecting regularly and hope to give back some ideas next time.

ta again :clap: :clap:

PS the graphics card is a 3d Prophet 4000xt