1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Gigabit WAN and LAN?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DoNuT, 9 Mar 2005.

1. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

I found a nice looking router/hub (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=33-127-158&depa=0) but its really expensive and it doesn't have 10/100/1000 WAN port. Is there a such thing as a gigabit WAN port yet? I would think that a gigabit WAN port would decrease latency in games since there could be more information going in and out. Please let me know where I could find a router/hub with gigabit LAN and WAN ports please.

2. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Your connection to the internet will not run at gigabit speeds, so having a gigabit WAN port is a waste. You can run at gigabit speeds within your LAN and there are many switches that run at that speed (the router you are looking at has 10/100/1000 speed LAN ports, which is a built in switch).

3. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Not too bad on price considering its wireless and gigabit...

It will help on games on the lan if you all have gigabit cards...as well as trasnfer on th lan..

Unless your going to run this out of a datacenter with gigabit connections to the net you wont see much if any difference....you could probably go down to a 10mbit port for wan and not see a difference...

4. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

how far do you think i would be able to pick up a signal with this router? a mile? just a rough estimate please?

5. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

normally its 50-100ft with 802.11B 100-200ft with 802.11G

Basicly anything that is in between the antennas will hender the distance. There are antennas you can buy to boost the range but I dout 1mi range is possible with this type of equipment.

802.11n will be finalized soon which should see a range increase, but I still dont belive that it will be above a few hundred feet with non commercial equipment, but I havent studied up on it at all..

6. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Speaking from experience you probably won't get that much milage from gigabit unless it's either onboard or running on a 64bit PCI slot...

7. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Will it? Games don't need much bandwidth or does gigabyte/cat6 offer lower latency than 10/100Mb/cat5?

8. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Were not talking a huge difference but on larger networks with large ammount of people it could possibly make a differnce...

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Really it only makes a noticible difference for BIG transfers, and you'll usually be limited by HDD speeds anyways.

10. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

11. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

If your friend has a wireless network in his house, then yes it will pick it up.

If your looking to pick up your personal wireless network in your home from your friends house then no it will not pick up your network.

Tags: