1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A7N8X Asus mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Is it a question.., 9 Mar 2005.

1. Is it a question..

Is it a question.. What's a Dremel?

ive been trying to OC my mates pc as he is in need of a bit more speed. he has the same unlocked amd 3200 cpu, an enermax psu and the abovce mentioned mobo. unfortunately this is still the version 1 model and definetly aint NO deluxe version!! my pc is overclocked nicely for the s****y mobo ive got but every time i change any one of his bios settings the pc just wont start at all!!! it does not freeze or anything when i get out of the bios, t just wont do anything but a blank screen!!! any one heard anything bout these mobo's apart from the obvious :waah:

cheers peeps

2. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Maybe a silly question but does he have an updated bios? Also does it freeze up even if you go 1MHz higher?

3. Is it a question..

its the second latest bios version but i dont wanna flash (version 1007) the bios if its being temperamental!!! and yes even if i go up only 1mhz.....

4. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

I would underclock it and so it's completely stable, and then flash the BIOS. Could just be a flakey load from the factory :blah:

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I agree with Zephyr. Try a good, stable reload of the bios.

This may be a dumb question, but did you remember to lock the AGP/PCI bus? Even 1mhz can screw that up entirely, which will prevent it from booting at all.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm sorry, but there's nothing wrong with the A7N8X for overclocking - it's a good, stable nForce 2 board; granted it's not as good as an NF7, but it's still a good board.

7. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Have to agree with the above, nothing wrong with the A7N8X (well at least not with the one I owned).

8. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

It's a good board but it's limited V Core voltage let's it down. IIRC it's capped at 1.8V, you can't beat an NF7-S :D

9. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

i had problems when trying to overclock with my current pcchips mobo, a change of 2MHz resulted in a non starting pc. I found that the ram speed selection had to be changed to the speed of the ram being used from the auto detect option. This allowed me to get up to my current 185MHz fsb before things start going tits up due to the **** ebuyer value ram. The NF7 and OCZ platinum RAM I have on oerder should let me get something more from the CPU :D

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Had a similar problem, though on the intel side of things. Cheap ram wouldn't allow me to overclock worth anything. It didn't like higher FSB, but it didn't like a ram divider, either (some ram, mostly cheap, has problems with dividers). A couple sticks of Geil Platinum pc4000 did the trick, though...now I have 230fsb on air and am testing a new w/c setup to put me over the 250 mark.

11. Is it a question..

this good man said it..... :naughty:
    it also does the same on the vdimms and craps out at a top 2.8v..... seriously dissapointing when i can hear the winbonds screaming for more juice!!! :rock: